Tropical / Safari roof's on Defenders?

Greetings All,

Has anyone ever heard of a tropical / safari roof on a Defender? I know that with the advent of Defenders LR started putting the reinforcing struts on the inside of the roof, instead of the outside like the Series (and the County's?). This killed off having a tropical roof on them for the time, however I was wondering if anyone had thought about or seen someone put on one a Defender?

I have a '94 300Tdi, and I'd like to put a tropical roof on there to keep it cool when we go touring the north end of Australia (still a long way in the future, but planning takes time). Was thinking that if the only problem was the reinforcement struts, we could look at getting a 2nd-hand County or Series vehicle roof and replacing my Defender roof with it. Then we could put a tropical roof on that.

Of course there's always the other option of somehow having the tropical roof secured through the existing Defender roof.... can anyone see any possible legal problems with putting a tropical roof on a Defender? Can anyone see anything wrong with the idea that we've missed?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers,

Glenn & Rin.

Reply to
Glenn Crawford

Twas Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:06:07 +0200 when "Glenn Crawford" put finger to keyboard producing:

the 'project 110' over at difflock.com came with a series 3 safari roof, perhaps due to that is had a custom windscreen.

A similar effect can be achieved using a full-length roof rack with a wood or metal floor.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Aha yet another bonus point for series 3 over the latter day coil spring copies.

Reply to
Larry

, we could look at getting a 2nd-hand County or

Its a Series w/screen.

If you put a Series roof on a Def you cant use the original windscreen seeing as how its taller and the original roof is so shaped to allow for this.

I cant see why you couldnt just remove the tropical roof bit and attach it to a standard Def roof if thats what you wanted, use suitable spacers and bolts as appropriate.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

In news:406fdc50$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.cybercity.ch, Glenn Crawford wrote: | Greetings All, | | Has anyone ever heard of a tropical / safari roof on a Defender? I | know that with the advent of Defenders LR started putting the | reinforcing struts on the inside of the roof, instead of the outside | like the Series (and the County's?). This killed off having a | tropical roof on them for the time, however I was wondering if anyone | had thought about or seen someone put on one a Defender? | | I have a '94 300Tdi, and I'd like to put a tropical roof on there to | keep it cool when we go touring the north end of Australia (still a | long way in the future, but planning takes time). Was thinking that | if the only problem was the reinforcement struts, we could look at | getting a 2nd-hand County or Series vehicle roof and replacing my | Defender roof with it. Then we could put a tropical roof on that. | | Of course there's always the other option of somehow having the | tropical roof secured through the existing Defender roof.... can | anyone see any possible legal problems with putting a tropical roof | on a Defender? Can anyone see anything wrong with the idea that | we've missed? | | Looking forward to your responses. | | Cheers, | | | Glenn & Rin. | | -- | -- | 4 April 2004, 11:57:27 AM (Switzerland) | -- | This is a tagline mirror -->

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Interesting this... I wonder if a safari roof counts towards the 75kg max roof loading? D'oh!

Reply to
Stuart Nuttall

Thanks for all the responses so far guys, it's been interesting reading.

Reply to
Glenn Crawford

If you ask me its all a loada bollox

Theretically then if I stand on the roofrack I exceed the magical figure and all collapses into a heap of dust. Well just t ain't so.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Fri, 9 Apr 2004 23:07:12 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but the recommendations are for loads when driving, so unless yer gonna do the teenwolf things and pretend to surf on the roof of yer landy...

Reply to
Austin Shackles