Billing - not so bright for some...

Those who are on the UK-LRO list will have seen a very sorry tale of Remco (little landies) being pushed around by show organiser Richard (spit) Green and being booted off the stand where he'd been invited as a guest, let risk being removed from the site.

Apparently only Green himslef may sell models at the show - which appears to be anti-competitive. Similar tales of jackbooted organisation surface each year - many traders have had similar experiences.

Seems to me that Green is more interested in lining his own pocket than protecting the interests and security of visitors and traders. An increase in theft - including a 1,500 quid generator which couldn't possibly have been an opportunistic 'walk away' (takes 2 people to lift it) indicates an organised presence at the show of those who seek to remove what is not theirs.

Perhaps someone should tell Green that organised crime at such 'shows' is known to be on the increase and his "security" may be better placed in preventing such theft - rather than threatening small traders.

Reply to
Mother

I suspect I know the reasons - but I've probably said enuf ;-)

Never too busy to chat - apart from taking the props off an all... ;-)

Cue Lee Argyle :-) It is nice, isn't it.

Reply to
Mother

Yes, that's quite sad - it would have been nice to see little landies instead of stuff like car polishing mops. However, I'd like to know what (if any) stands were doing the same thing - it must be very tempting to sublet part of your stand and in the real world it would be impossible for LRE to find out what kind of deals were done, whether it was a real gift of space or a sublet for monetary gain.

If it was a sublet and they LRE are losing out and I can understand LRE being upset (though I don't agree with the action - they obviously need to introduce more smaller cheaper stands to ensure it doesn't happen again)

I think if it were a case of a non-profit organisation then that's completely different and they should be allowed to split their stands to other non-profit organisations as much as they want.

I don't know the man at all, never seen him but I think I will see if I can find his email address later on tonight to see what reasons he comes up with for getting rid of little landies because if he admits that they were ejected because they were direct competition then I will have no sympathy for him. Until then he gets the benefit of the doubt from me....

On another note, I saw grumble in the flesh for the first time :) Would have introduced myself but you were deeply engrossed in giving a tour to another gentleman who sounded like he was going to do a 101 camper and lunch beckoned! Very nicely finished 90/hybrid(?) beside grumble as well with the neat rear winch mounting on the plasma rope stand......

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

Very nicely finished 90/hybrid(?) beside grumble as well with the neat rear winch mounting on the plasma rope stand......

That's me!

Check out LRO that just out (August edition) Famous at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee

PS Enjoyed the show, laughed at some of the prices the trade stands were selling scrap for and even got a little sun tan.

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

I've had an email conversation with him, after which I left with the impression that he is a self-important tosser who takes no responsibility for anything, least of all his own actions.

But I could be wrong.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

At Driffield Spring Adventure i heard tell from several different traders that the police caught a gang, impounded their vehicles, and then the thieves tried to nick them back from the compound on the Sunday..... One trader did tell me that the gang were all Scousers, which does seem a bit stereotypical....

I know that theft is beginning to happen at all the shows now. Shame really that some little toe rag has to go and spoil all our fun. Trouble is, stuff going missing can ruin the show for some of the smaller outfits, even though insurance etc covers them.

It wasn't just the trade stands they were nicking from though. Four doors down from my friends caravan had their Dixon Bate adjustable tow hitch removed from his vehicle one evening.....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster (how much more....)

3.5V8 100" Hybrid, now LPG converted Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend's) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next 1993 200 TDi Discovery (the Pug 106 is dead, long live the Pug)

Peterborough 4x4 Club

Simon Isaacs
[Richard Green]

I think you rate him much higher than I ever would.

Maybe we both are...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:46:23 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I didn't, the content has got less (and less interesting) and the price is ever increasing. I'll restrict meself to buying the odd copy now and then, together with the odd copy of LRE, and others, that take my fancy.

I do rather suspect that glossy magazine pricing is on the "what the market will stand" basis these days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:16:40 +0000 (UTC), "Simon Isaacs" enlightened us thusly:

and that very likely ain't covered by insurance. reminds me, must hunt small padlocks to secure the buggers - the R clip thing is all fine but not secure. it'd be easy enough to have a small padlock, which would deter the casual tealeaves. Since it's impossible to secure anything against aa determined thief, there's no point in trying.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Please feel free to post, so we can be the judge.

Reply to
David French

I still have the recorded telephone conversations with him, Taylor and Girling (in Canada) should I ever feel the need to back up my impression of them. Taylor was actually the most helpful, the other two I would not urinate upon should they be on fire.

Reply to
Mother

I've been doing this for a while - works well, and only adds a minute or so to a change of towing height. You need a padlock with a long shackle, though. Being in the position they are, they don't last long either.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What other basis would you expect them to use, Austin? ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

we have a small padlock on our discovery, been there for 5 years now. just soaking it in thin oil once in a while seems to work ok. although the one on our 90 i keep inside the car Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:16:54 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

well, they needn't be so bloody blatant about it. seems to go up about every other month, and I don't believe inflation's that bad.

they could try holding the price down to a reasonable level for the benefit of the consumers... might even sell more magazines.

about the only one I buy semi-regularly now is "car". Which, although just as expensive, does have a few good writers and photographers still, and isn't afraid to describe something as a heap of crap if that's what it is.

bit in the latest one I bought about a chap who's bought (actually, I think some kind of lease) Schumacher's 2001 F1 car, in order to race it. Needless to say, the bloke has money.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:42:23 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, would you piss yer pants if that were the only other alternative?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wrote: || It wasn't just the trade stands they were nicking from though. Four || doors down from my friends caravan had their Dixon Bate adjustable || tow hitch removed from his vehicle one evening..... | | and that very likely ain't covered by insurance. reminds me, must | hunt small padlocks to secure the buggers - the R clip thing is all | fine but not secure. it'd be easy enough to have a small padlock, | which would deter the casual tealeaves. Since it's impossible to | secure anything against aa determined thief, there's no point in | trying.

You may not stop a determined thief, but it's still worth trying because you at least prevent casual theft..

Dixon-Bate do a lockable pin for their adjustable couplings which is not too expensive.

for details.

Bought mine from

when I got my Shocklink. It is not listed, but they do have, or can get, them. Sorry, could not find the invoice to check the price.

Rather than fudging a padlock why not use the proper bit of kit?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

On or around Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:12:00 GMT, "Mark Pewsey" enlightened us thusly:

.com, not .co.uk...

since the pin on mine is just a straight 3/4" pin from one side to the other, retained by an R clip, the obvious answer is a padlock through the hole where the R clip normally goes. might need the hole drilling out a tad.

might be that their pinlock is slightly more secure, but as has already been discussed, you can't prevent the determined thieves anyway, they tend to come equipped to cut through stuff.

There was a story about a garage with nipponesque 4x4s out front. The boss asked the oik to go and fetch XYZ from the front to the workshop in order for it to be prepped for delivery. Oik reports "it won't start". Boss goes out, finds it won't start, opens the bonnet and finds the whole engine and 'box missing, it having been removed by the brilliant device of a gas-axe through the mountings.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

or

Richard