Bio Diesel

Just been to Robin fuels in Keighley to ask about the RR & the bloke showed me round his place. Chrikey, it's all very hi-tech with loads of stages to get to decent quality fuel. £1.15 a litre

He reckons it's got more lubricational properties than normal diesel.

Reply to
Nige

If it has then more power to his elbow- good lad him! thats been one of the arguments against bioderv in case the lower lubricity causes injection pump failure. I wish to christ there were more bio sites about the nearest one to me is about 9 miles away in deepest Openshaw. Some tit in the sunday paper jumped on the bio fuels bandwagon this week misinforming the readers 55p a litre for vegoil? we know it was but the price has nearly tripled since then. Tesco have announced they will sell BD at 150 of their sites so I may get lucky

Derek

FYI There's a place in Rochdale.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Milton Keynes sell it @ 1.25.... is it worth it for 6p?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I've heard so much contradictory information about biodiesel. While IME the engine sounds smoother on veg oil, various sites have said that it has less lubrication and kills the pump sooner, with some pumps being more of a problem than others. Thing is, what's biodiesel, is it fresh veg oil, reclaimed veg oil, processed veg oil (and which process), dino-diesel mixed with a dash of veg oil etc etc etc.

Tesco would sell the 95% diesel 5% veg mix I reckon.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks Steve I did know its a bit further away from me as I'm in Timperley trouble is I don't have any cause to go past either in the normal course of things the one on the wirral might be handy if we are out fishing tho' Derek

Reply to
Derek

People Hi,

based on my first hand experience after using vegetable oil in two different ways.

  1. Both processed (only filtered but with a VERY fine coffee filter paper method) at a varied 10 to 20% mixture with dynojuice and 100% SVO offer a small but noticeable increase but noticeable in performance, decrease in operating temperature under load and SIGNIFICANTLY quiter operation on
200Tdi engines.

  1. Both types of oil appear to be creating a problem with the rubber seals and flanges on the fuel pumps on this type of engines.

  2. The fuel pumps expert who opened the fuel pump from my 200Tdi said that there was NO damage on the metallic surfaces caused by the vegetable oil but the only damage was due to the disappearance of the rubber seals from inside the pumps mechanical moving bits and friction of metal to metal. This problem exhibited itself also by the initial dripping from the rear and lower side of the pump.

When the pump had lost significant percentage of its internal pressure the engine could only start using straight SVO. And it then died but after running on 100% SVO for more than three months in the middle of a very hot Greek summer (last year)

So what I can say is that if you wish to use processed cooking oil or SVO please replace the seals and flanges of your fuel system with similar ones made from a material able to be used with such liquids. Viton is one of them and this is what my fuel pump expert has used.

Unfortunately the increase in SVO prices in Greece rendered using it beyond any financial gains sense so we will have to wait until it gets cheaper to see whether Viton can withstand vegetable oils.

Until then I have three more fuel pumps to "play" with so I can experiment freely.

Take care and HTH Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Vitons can withstand nearly anything, but there are different kinds of Viton too - at least three I can think of. I am pretty sure Viton A is OK.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I usually take a trip every 6 weeks or so to Bio-D in Rochdale. Sometimes I try and ring ahead to make sure they are open and have diesel in, but they don't always answer. I don't want a wasted trip from Stockport. Iqbal is very helpful when you get there though. I last went to the St Annes in Openshaw but their bio pump was locked up, not sure if they still sell it or not. I hope Tescos do sell Bio in our area though soon.

Reply to
Chappers

Morrisons here in Walderslade has just revamped their station - and when I called in yesterday what did I find - B30 on the pump! Along side it regular dino. It was the same price (1.30.9) as dino, but hey i'm game - its only for the 200tdi drink anything :-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Sorry folks....the name has sent me into a spin! Ian Rawlins were you at school in Atlanta, GA 85-90?

It Bryan, hit me back if so,

BJ

Reply to
bpjenks

Sorry, I've never been to the US so it's not likely to be me you're thinking of!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

i have been running my MG ZS diesel (same engine as an old freelander) on biodiesel for over 18 months now

the main issues i have come across are having to change the fuel filter every 3 or 4k miles and the quality of some of the batches if its too thick you may need to add a litre of petrol to a full tank maybe 2 on a large disco/RR tank other than that if you have a reliable supplier and remember to mix at least 50/50 in the cold weather its fine

also it smells so much better my mrs hates the smell of her disco when it has normal diesel in it

oh if you have a comm>Just been to Robin fuels in Keighley to ask about the RR & the bloke

Reply to
mike hunt

I had that many years ago in my Landy, solved it by fitting a heat exchanger between the fuel filter holder and the fuel filter, the fuel is fed slowly into the filter holder and passes through the heat exchanger, which heats up the fuel (and consequently the filter), and hey presto, no more fuel filter clagging up! That was on 100% oilseed rape cooking oil straight from Waitrose (only the posh stuff for *my* landy).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

a friend has been running 50/50 veg diesel for 3 years on an Xedi. Works sweet no injection probs.