Defender Rear Hub Bearings

I was changing the brake pads on the Defender today, and noticed a fair bit of play on the back wheels. Consulting the manual suggests that there are two taper bearings on each hub. The only job listed in the workshop manual is replacement, and I was wondering if they are adjustable at all? (I haven't tackled the hub nut yet, pending availability of a suitable socket.)

Also, the splined fit between the driving hub and the half shaft can best be described as "rattling" :-) Is this normal, and , if not, how much play is acceptable?

Reply to
Iain Street

Iain Hi,

most probably it will be best to change the bearings altogether. If they have had this play for long it makes sense that they may be already damaged and sooner rather than later you will have to replace them. At least now the only problem is play in the bearings. But if it gets worst you may end up with bearings stuck on the hub and replacement hubs are not as cheap as bearings.....

If you change the bearing do remember the pack them up well in very good quality grease. Such grease will work much better at providing a long lift for your bearings.

---------

As for the splined fit between the driving hub and the halfshaft it is not such a rare to happen. It is usually focused on the driving hub side so you may have to replace those also.

Good quality cheap ones are now available from most main LR suppliers and I am sure Beamends from here will be able to assist also.

Very expensive extremely good quality ones are also available but I think that they are an overkill for everyday use cars.

IIRC no play is allowed at all over there.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

If you're used to car bearings even the 'correct' clearance can seem excessive.

Yes, they are adjustable and the procedure will form part of the bearing replacement write up. Don't worry about dial gauges and being too precise - adjust to give minimum yet definite end play and you'll be fine. Much trial and error may be needed so don't lock up the tab washer until you're happy with the setting and the outer nut has been tightened.

Don't get a conventional socket for this job - far too expensive and probably won't fit anyway. You need a 52 mm A/F box spanner. Paddock

do one - search for 606435 - but all the usual culprits should be able to oblige.

Don't worry about it.

Reply to
Dougal