Bloody rain

Oh for at least a car port to work under :(

as for what I am doing posting here when I should be out in the wet I am entitled to the great British tea break am I not, especially as I am dealing with a 1970's British Leyland product :)

Reply to
Larry

My thoughts exactly. The 110 has transfer box issues at the moment and the weather (actually just strong wind here so far, no rain yet) isn't helping.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Larry vaguely muttered something like ...

Mate uses one of those cheap 'Gazebo' things from DIY shops. He has a double size one that'll easily fit completely over a 110 ... and it has sides to stop the blown rain blinding you totally. He attaches it to the rear end of the Landy, and pegs out the other three sides. Works well, but not for anything above a 20 mph wind, I'd guess .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Aye it's bollocks, I need to do all manner of jobs on Monty the Maroon monster (as next doors call it!)

Still, got Monday off to do a few things!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Twas Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:17:07 +0100 when Paul Everett put finger to keyboard producing:

It's a full 15 minute walk (5 for most people but I have a limp) to where my land rover is parked, I then work on it at the roadside, open to the elements and no protection from weather coming in off the sea. it's only regular english tea breaks that keep me sane. and I still can't get that damn brake drum off...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

A mate bought / did similar for working on stuff outside in the sun .. seems a bitt ott for just two days each year but he took the 109 to bits under it in the rain ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I was replacing the broken coil spring today on my 'would be Landy' (Rickman Ranger kit car) and I could hear the rain beating down on the roof of my mates heated and fully equipped garage . I didn't hear it at first as I was raising the car on the two poster lift .. .. ;-)

Those Snap-On tools are nice and the air driver was handy for the wheel nuts ... need to MIG some bits up on Monday (I'll have to walk into the other bay for that) .. might pop round the corner to Gregs for lunch . or 50 yards the other way to McThingies .. .

Mind you .. I have spent a lot of my life laying on the wet road fixing stuff so it's ok .. ;-)

I hope it stays dry for tomorrow (I've brought some bits home to work on in my workshop) and I'll get wet going between the house and workshop .. ;-(

All the best ..

Toogood Toobytrue ;-)

Reply to
T i m

You should have got a 101. All engine work can be done in the dry ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I've all that and a whole lot more within 50 yards from here - plus an experienced Landie loving engineer who does all the actual work.

So, I'll match your grins full on and raise you a nice clean pair of hands!

Reply to
Mother

Brilliant .. ;-)

Are you listening to the new series Martyn ? (you can download a movie of the new stuff being made and other stuff from ..)

All the best ..

Slartybartfast

Reply to
T i m

Hmmm ..

Ah, but, well ..

1) Where's the fun in letting someone else fettle yer pride-n-joy ..? 2) Does he / she do it for nothing .? 3) Can you trust that they will put in 110% ..?

While I was working on the 'Rangy' (see, it's even taking on LR attributes ..) my garage owning mate was checking out the rear brakes for a customer and her 106 (or summat). She had been told that she needs new brake shoes on the rear but on inspection it was obvious it needed more work than that and infact in the 40k miles showing on the clock, the rear drums had never been off?

He asked a local main dealer what was actually done on a typical 'service' and was told 'oil and filter' (for the 90 quid ..) ;-(

I'll do my own thanks and that *may* be why my Sierra is still running (daily) after 21 years ... and the base vehicle for the Ranger after

26 years .. (see, it's not just Landy's that can live to a ripe old age .. )

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I own part of the garage I work at and can get the lads in the workshop to do all the tedious and dirty stuff and write off most of my parts to "workshop repairs".

I'll raise you one healthy wallet. 8-)

Reply to
EMB

I can still fettle the bits I want to fettle.

Yep.

If they still want a job come Monday morning, yes they will (see my other post).

That's why I lasted 6 months the one time I worked for a main dealer - the hyposcrisy and rip-offs made me sick.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:07:00 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

get yerself one of them cheap gazebos, 15 quid mine cost, 3mx3mx2m - 's a godsend for working on vehicles.

of course :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:19:37 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

if it really won't shift, then cut the f***er off and fit a new one, they're cheap enough (or used to be, anyway). small anlgegrinder through the drum, carefully, don't damage the mounting surfaces, until you've cut as much of it as you can, and then smite it with a big hammer.

seriously... :-) 's not worth pissing around with it if it's really solid on there.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Costco do a really nice tent thingy for about 120 quid. Takes a whole

101 ambulance with room to spare.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Twas Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:02:53 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

No grinder to hand. I'm going to try a bolt through the threaded hole thing, if that doesn't work I'll order a new pair of drums and hit the old one with a chisel, I expect that'll crack it and get it off.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:03:09 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

it might. although it's cast, it's a big lump to break with a chisel without weakening it first.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Ai! A gazebo!" cried Legolas.

"None can stand against it," said Gandalf. "Run!"

Reply to
David G. Bell

Jeez, we'd like some rain. We've had water use restrictions for just on a year now owing to lack of rain.

Ron Emu Plains, Australia

Reply to
The Becketts