Chassis Numbers

ISTR that some time ago someone posted a link pointing to a site that tells you what all the bits of a chassis number mean, engine, year of build, body style, etc. I've done a quick google and all I can find are details of series numbers, does the same sort of list exist for

110's?

I looked at a 110 200Tdi SW on Saturday and I'd like to check the chassis number details match what the car is. Also there was an intermitent clonk when lifting off, was this the infamous mainshaft wear, the dealer swears not (200Tdi's do that sir)?

Ta.

Reply to
Simon Barr

On or around 11 Aug 2003 08:22:31 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

yeah, they do that because of the wear in the transfer box. To be fair, they do all clonk to a degree, it's more a matter of where. put mine in reverse straight from forwards and you get an almighty great clang sometimes, thanks to lots of wear in the front axle. try putting it in 1st gear, engine off, and push it backwards and forwards (or have assistants do the pushing, is better) then you can listen for where the noise comes from.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 12 Aug 2003 13:30:34 GMT, Simon Barr enlightened us thusly:

body immediately behind the doors. Door frame, effectively. I notice mine has noticeable rust in 'em, and they'll need replacing or repairing. Mind, it didn't fail the MOT on account of it, but it can lead to the rear body being more flexible than it should be.

Only other common failure is back doors with spare wheels on 'em - heavy wheel really is too much for the door and hinges.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:26:05 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

not found out yet if the frame part is available/easy to replace. I'll probably patch it anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thats something I seen mentioned on this newsgroup quite often so I had already thought about getting one of the swing away wheel carriers to prevent this.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Simon Barr