Top Gear!!

Did you see that £1 Volvo they got, used and crashed on Top Gear tonight?? Wish mine could be that expensive!

Reply to
Tom Artoh

What I cant understand is that they were saying that the car cost £1 and the dealer saves £150 on disposal.

But surely at some point in the future , Volvo will have to dispose of that car so all whats happened is the dealer has gained and Volvo are no better off

Or am I missing something

Reply to
John Rogerlot

Why will Volvo have to dispose of that car at some point in the future? It's the repsonsibility of the owner, where it be a Volvo main dealer franchise, or Jeremy Clarkson. Volvo have bugger all to do with it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I stand corrected but I thought the EU laws stated that the manufacturer will be responsible for the recycling when a car comes to then of its life.

Still , does anyone know if its possible to actually visit dealerships and try and buy a part ex sold as seen

Reply to
John Rogerlot

Isn't that what Clarkson's friend did?

Reply to
Doug

How likely is it that he has any friends?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Or how likely that the friend worked in a volvo dealership

Reply to
John Rogerlot

I know it sounds like a bit of a moan but why can't we have more "cars" on top gear rather than the extended periods of talking s**te and celeb guests etc!

Rant mode off

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

It all seemed a bit unlikely. Any vehicle being sold by a dealership should at least be safe and road legal, presuming the intention of the buyer is to put it straight on the road. Anything less is opening up the dealership to a huge risk!

Assuming these basic checks, the sales department will have incurred a workshop cost on the vehicle. There's also the opportunity loss of the dealership not getting a refund on the RFL.

Reply to
MB_UK

What I found most interesting ;-) was that the A/C was still working until the belt broke. Must be something of a record on a car this age.

The Rover must have been well faulty - only 23 MPG on a motorway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I get the feeling he was absolutely caning the nuts off it.

Reply to
SteveH

Did you see how they were driving the cars? :-o

They started by driving down an almost empty motorway, one in each lane, blocking the traffic behind. They then drove up each others bumpers, along the motorway, and to make things worse, they use a hand held communications device! Surely they could be find for driving along the motorway while talking on a hand held radio communication thing, the evidence was broadcast on TV!

Later on in the programme they couldn't understand that driving a bit slower can get you to places quicker. When somebody's in front of them they just have to over take them. They're maniacs!

Reply to
Peter

Peter (petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Nor do I. Please explain.

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Dave Plowman writes

I thought that too. Pity they smashed up the Audi - that was the best car of the lot and looked like it would have been worth spending a couple of hundred quid on to keep going for a couple more years.

A mate drives an A reg (1980?) Audi 80 which has 275k on the clock and is still going strong. He's just had to put a s/h carb on it. Goes all over the country in it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Apart from the fact that the Stig had trouble keeping it on the test track and reckoned it had had a big crash, and was not fully repaired...

The animated Alastair Darling eyebrows were good. And talking of fake things, where does Jordan hang out ? Just like to know so I can be sure never to be on a road within 100 miles of her.

Reply to
John Laird

Given that they appeared to be travelling in convoy - how? I'd expect more than 23 MPG motorway on my 3.5 litre SD1 auto regardless - if I was aiming on keeping my licence. 35 MPG at 70ish would be more like it for a 216 GSi.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Between the chin and navel.

HTH.

Reply to
Grant Mason

Its revenge for his failed chatshow .

Why do you still continue to watch it dude ??? .

Reply to
SOR

In article , John Laird writes

Damn, yes, forgot about that. An object lesson that looks aren't everything. Did you notice that Clarkson's Volvo had leather seats? That alone must have doubled the price of the car :)

Essex, innit. Think you'll be safe from her for a while yet.

BTW: got home from a run yesterday, turned ignition off, applied hand brake on Pimpmobile. Wondered vaguely what the funny 'twang' noise was and why the car was rolling downhill. Oops. Not fun, trying to stop a runaway car without servo assistance and a locked steering wheel.

It's in the garage now having new cables fitted. Just as well it let go when I pulled the brake on and not afterwards.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Grant Mason writes

Give it a few years, and it'll be below the knees.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson