Clutch Problems

Hi All Well this is the first weekend off for some time and my first oppurtunity to replace the clutch in a 95 disco TDI. Not Too Bad on the open road if you pick you REvs to change gear but once you get into Town it is an absolute bugger. Not having pulled the gearbox and transfer case out a disco before any pointers from the group? I do have the manual and it all looks fairly British to me! Any Traps for Young Players? Thanks in advance Sheridan In the family we have....Too Many Landrovers!

94 Disco TDI 95 Disco TDI 98 Disco TDI 99 TD5 Disco 04 TD5 Disco
Reply to
Sheridan

If it were me doing it, in view of the weight of the transfer and main boxes, here's what I'd do. I'd pull the radiator, disconnect the exhaust, remove all bar 2 easy to get at bellhousing bolts, disconnect starter and engine wiring looms, lift the engine enough to get the mounts disconnected, then block the bellhousing to support it, and with the weight held on an engine crane of some kind (or block & tackle) I'd lift the engine out, replace the clutch, then refit. I personally find this a far quicker method on 4-cylinder defenders and discos than removing the box. Just my tuppence-worth. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

And I'll second that, especially if you haven't got a lift and a really good transmission jack with a cradle set up specifically to support the LR gearbox.

Reply to
EMB

Thirded.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The technique is when one aquires a new Disco, dispose of one, maybe oldest, Disco.

Reply to
GbH

Also applies to wives. ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Disco are easier!! And cheaper.

Reply to
GbH

remember where you read it first :)

however there is a ready and willing market for cheap wives & expensive Discos

Reply to
William Tasso