Disco 300 TDI Bad starter

OK when warm spins over and starts AOK

When damp or cold seems really sluggish turning over, and usually i have to give it several on/off with the heaters to get any chance of starting - then have to crank it with accelarator flat down. As soon as fires i release throttle and alllow to idle to warm up.

I have a spare battery which sometimes I have to drag out of the shed and connect up and then starts. I have checked battery connections, had the battery back to supplier to check on his rig, aletrnator is fine. New heaters last year, when hot all ok.

Get a voltage on each heater (12V) when ignition turned on.

Question, how does the stop soleniod work, could this be dodgy? What does position sensor on injector pump do? As it starts better with throttle open ?

Enough for now and thanks if you have read this far.....LOL

Tony

Reply to
Tony L

favourite next step is to check the earth to the engine is good just connect a jumper lead from the battery negative to the engine block and try to start her. ( the earth braid from the chassis to the block is the usual suspect even if the battery cables seem ok) Derek

Reply to
DerekW

I used one of a set of old Jump Leads to make a new permanent earth from engine to battery via the existing earth on the gearbox. Made quite a difference to starting and the electrics generally.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

stupid flipping weather, stupid flipping landrovers why put the braid right under the engine where its all dirty and wet and yucky, especially in this time of year. Remade all connections cleaned up where everything connects, nice clean battery terminals. Now just got to wait until tomorrow when engine is cold and see if things have improved

Thanks for the pointers

Reply to
Tony L

In message , Tony L writes

I had a similar problem, with my old n/a 2.5. The braids were crimped and I eventually found just the slightest play in one of them and that was enough.

Reply to
hugh

Looks like i'll get the cold start test tomorrow - its just started snowing again - in Reading

Reply to
Tony L