Cunning plan

Does anybody here have the means to source, cut and bend ally chequer plate, and would be willing to take on a commission?

Baldrick here has had a cunning plan, which may not come to fruition as I'll probably find that the chequer plate would cost way too much, but I'd be interested to know if it could be done.

TIA David.

Reply to
David French

Try your local commercial vehicle bodybuilders, they should be able to do it.

Reply to
SimonJ

Depends what sort of bends you are looking for. If you get the 1.6mm bright plate (A standard Size in SA), you can pretty much bend it over any square edge. If you are after a more complex shape then you are on your own.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Twas Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:08:04 +0100 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

Try this chap snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com he's done custom chequer plate for me before. (slow at replying to email though)

just found a phone number...

01524 427562 in morecambe, lancashire.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I bought some sheets of chequer plate for my 101 a few months ago. It was either 2mm or 3mm thick, and came in 8x4 foot sheets that cost about £60 each (if im rembering right!). I asked the ally place where i got it from if they would cut it and bend it, and they said that they didnt but the place across the road would. I ended up paying a bloke in the metal working place across the way a fiver to cut mine up for me. I'd worked out all my measurements first, and it probably took about 10mins to do all my cuts. I'd imagine he could bend it too if i asked for it.

If i were you i'd find your nearest ally stockist, and ask them what they would do. The one here even carried it across the road to the metal working place on a forklift for me! This part of the world isnt very local for you though is it?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:16:17 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

PS, what are you up to?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Good question. I'm thinking of where to put all the crap which you need to have knocking around an expedition vehicle. In a 110 there's bags of space, but in a Disco with 7 people inside, it's a bit of a pain to have things like strops and tirfors knocking around, and it's hard to lash everything down properly.

So I was thinking if it would be feasible to knock up a roofrack-mounted full width toolbox, say 5' wide by about 18" deep & high, or maybe a little more. My thought was to make it out of chequer plate, get the panels etc cut and folded to my own design and then rivet it all together. I'm hoping a frame isn't needed as it would make it more complex and heavy.

However, I've never used chequer plate for anything before, so it may be a lousy idea. Any thoughts from the gang?

David.

Reply to
David French

Why not just buy an ammo box, they come in all manor of sizes, and you can drill the base so you can bolt them down onto roof racks. I bought several from Anchor Supplies for very little money. I have bolted them down onto the flatbed on my hybrid, where they hold ropes, strops, winch remote control, gloves, snatch block, a ground anchor kit, first aid kit, dayglo jacket, lunch.... the list goes on!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Vice Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfriend, at the moment......) 3" lift kit fitted, body shell now restored and mounted on chassis, time to retrim it Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Good idea, although I was hoping for one big box, and I've not seen any ammo boxes big enough*. But I like the idea, I'll take a look around and see if I can see something suitable.

  • This is the cue for somebody to show me a source of ammo boxes for holding ICBMs and prove me totally wrong.

Reply to
David French

Twas Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:56:36 +0100 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

sounds like a top idea and chequer plate seems ideal due to it being light and all. and no reason why it souldn't be easy to make and fit.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

have a search about for military surplus outlets that stock ex soviet bloc stuff. RPG cases are roughly the same size as those you quoted earlier. Also they`re pretty solid and you can just drill some mounting holes in the base and paint them up - you could even get some really thin decorative chequer plate and cover it.

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

Or summat similar...

I got a 16mm film processor box from Anchor, see:

Hinged lid, lockable, totally watertight and very light - yet very big (not that I really want much weight up there, but it's handy for bulky lightweight stuff).

Reply to
Mother

You know, that's uncannily like what I had in mind, apart from it not involving as much effort and trouble, which I like in a box. Can you remember how much it was?

Cheers, David

Reply to
David French

Just remember to make sure the bolt-down holes are sealed. Rubber washers and silicone _grease_, I suppose.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Not off hand - summat like 90 quid springs to mind (upon which I generally manage to get at least 10 percent off...) - still cheaper than you'd pay for CP I reckon. Don't just try Anchor though, there are literally dozens of large ex military disposal companies around.

Reply to
Mother

Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it jumped upon a harpsichord and started singing 'cunning plans are here again'...

Peter 'couldn't resist' R.

Reply to
Peter R.