Dakar 2008 cancelled

I was expecting the Dakar to give me some evening viewing in the dark days of 2008 before the motor racing season starts (in the faint hope of a Bowler or similar coming in at the top), and blow me it has been cancelled for security reasons.

While I am a bit put out, I can't imagine how disappointed all the entrants are who have been working all year to get the sponsorship and vehicles lined up. Poor buggers!

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Irritating innit, there's more to it than the published 'excuse' too.

Reply to
Nige

I caught a related news broadcast which linked the murder of 4 french tourists with the threat pity for the privateers who have struggled to bring it all together the factory teams will just find somewhere else to spend the cash. I did think what a dammed fine idea it would be to hold the (an) event in the Kielder forest bit to bloody cold tho' this time of the year to play lets get lost in the trees .I get to visit with courier jobs occasionally and what a truly beautiful place it is

Derek hope you recover quickly mate maybe we can have an unofficial to decorate the plaster cast :-)

Reply to
Derek

I've known them to cancel a couple of stages now and again but never to cancel the full event. I was looking forward to it, what a barsteward.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Typical of those cheese eating surrender monkeys ( copied from F1 news group).

Reply to
NM