Detroit lockers

Richard thanks for the clarification about suspenders.

I guess the UK variety keeps other "things" inside the trousers up.

BTW what's the UK word?

Take care and thanks Pantelis

Pantelis Giamarellos

Jos Hi,

QUAIFEs are simply amazing. And in case you manage to make one loose traction the only thing you have to do is relax on your accelerator pedal and slightly press the brakes pedal so that they start distributing torque to both wheels once more.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

...and Pantelis Giamarellos spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

No problem, we always try to please... :-)

:-)

Braces. Hence the phrase I think you were looking for, "belt and braces", meaning doing something more than is strictly necessary to be absolutely secure. Quite a useful phrase in a Land Rover context - like going on a

50-mile journey and taking a full tool-kit, a tonne of spare parts, tame mechanic, and also an RAC card. Common sense, really.

Just in case anyone didn't see it the first time.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

In message , mark writes

Right seems a Detroit locker already fitted in a rebuilt diff costs £590 from Ashcroft transmissions. Quaife seems to be £675 but would also need the diff rebuilding. KAM is also £675 but is air operated.

Hmmm, Detroit locker looks favourite. Even with a new diff assembly will I still need the infamous spreader tool to bend the axle a couple of thou before it drops in? Will I still need to fit shims etc?

Did you all know that the Landrover Salisbury axle is the same thing as the legendary dana 60 axle?

:)

Reply to
mark

On or around Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:30:53 +0200, "Pantelis Giamarellos" enlightened us thusly:

Quaife would be my option, I reckon, given the money.

Does anyone do viscous-coupled diffs?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Rich thanks.

That was the phrase I was looking for.

Absolutely right about the LR thing. Full kit of spares, tools, hydraulic lift, folding stands, manual and duct tape.

Take care Pantelis

Pantelis Giamarellos

Mark Hi,

The QUAIFE and the KAM do replace the standard LR diff unit (same as the Detroits)

The KAM is NOT air operated. They used to me either air or cable operated but the new design is electricaly operated using a solenoid installed INSIDE the axle's housing (you have to cut the rear housing off and weld a mounting ring where an 8mm thick ABS new housing is secured using bolts.

The Salisbury was indeed a Dana axle. Same applies for the rear axle of current production D110 vehicles that do not use a Salisbury but a newer design Dana sourced axle.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos