Diesel price - Again

After saying I wonder why the fuel protesters havent kicked off yet, I picked up a Metro Paper on the way to work this morning and frontpage was about the fuel protesters talking about fuel blockages and go slows next week.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Guy

FFS.

Reply to
Nige

About time too....inconvient and bad timing, but about time

Reply to
vertuas

I cant find anything about it anywhere else.. Another Metro exclusive?

Reply to
Tim Guy

On or around Thu, 6 Dec 2007 12:43:52 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

The only problem I have is that I fear that the price we're paying now for fuel is about right, environmentally speaking, it's just that the money thus raised is wasted by the govermint, rather than spending it on something vaguely green.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Here in north California, a (S)hell station in Vacaville has been at US$4.00 a gallon for diesel fuel for a couple of weeks now. It kinda sorta takes the fun out of travelling. I know, you guys in Europe & the UK pay more, but you at least get something back for your tax money. Best regards, CS Houck '93 Ford F-350 4X4 turbo diesel '88 Ford Escort '66 BSA A65T '61 Series II 88" '55 Studebaker Champion '

Reply to
Chris

We do? remind me where!

Reply to
GbH

Reply to
Chris

Hadn't noticed, not awfully good for popping down the shops!

Reply to
GbH

Chris> Here in north California, a (S)hell station in Vacaville Chris> has been at US$4.00 a gallon for diesel fuel for a couple Chris> of weeks now. It kinda sorta takes the fun out of Chris> travelling. I know, you guys in Europe & the UK pay more, Chris> but you at least get something back for your tax money.

Do we? Can't say I'd noticed.

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Chris> Ummm...If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I'm told that Chris> you have a passenger rail system that works? Much better Chris> than ours, anyway.

No, not 'round here. Must be thinking of Sweden. Then again, their

56% income tax might pay for that.

All we get is a crap NHS that's so bad that anyone who can afford to has private health care, an education system so bad that anyone who can afford to sends their kids to a private school, and a police force so bad they sit around all day filling in paperwork when they could be out tasering the innocent public.

Why don't I leave? Canada's too cold in winter, America has too many guns and George Bush, Australia has too many things that'll kill you, and I haven't got around to checking out New Zealand yet. Pretty much anywhere else requires either learning another language and/or dealing with a government even more despotic and corrupt than ours.

Cynical? Moi?

Reply to
AndyC the WB

In a dim and distant universe , Chris muttered:

That's even more expensive!!

Before I got my current Disco TDi I used to have a Disco V8i and had to drive a round trip of about 50 miles a day to get to work.

The V8 still cost much less than the equivalent rail journey, plus I didn't have a mile walk at the work end.

Plus, and I'm not joking, one month I did get a season ticket to see what it was like, the trains were late/cancelled at least two days a week, which kind of defeated the object, especially if I had to then walk home and drive afterall, having paid for a month ticket.

Reply to
Paul Vigay

We have a passenger rail system, kinda

However i wouldn't say that it works.

Reply to
vertuas

In a dim and distant universe , AndyC the WB muttered: [Snippety snip]

Not at all. That summed up my own feelings pretty well too!

Reply to
Paul Vigay

I don't know how the figures add up nowadays, but a while ago, 4 lads from Newcastle on Tyne found that it was quite a bit cheaper to buy an old banger, tax & insure it for a month, fill it with petrol, drive to London & back for a weekend & then scrap the car than it was to get a standard class open return each.

IIRC, the car cost a hundred quid or so. The only downside was that it took about twice as long as the train to get to the bit of London they wanted.

If you book ahead, I think it can even be cheaper to fly than catch the train on that journey.

Reply to
John Williamson

Just back (last Saturday) from driving across Australia and back - prices varied mostly from around $1.40 to $1.59/litre. Lowest was $1.36, but the outstanding one was $1.79 at Border Village on the SA/WA border - OK, its pretty remote, but Eucla, only a few km away, was under $1.60.

JD

Reply to
JD

Fear not, I'm sure the Home Secrtary will be along to Jolly all those officer shortly. She clearly values officers contribution and has adopted a policy of encouraging English and welsh Police officers today with her considered just rewards to do 0.6 % less of anything at all in the same 40 hour week... which surely has to be a good thing... thats a 0.6 % saving on Stress and welfare associated costs... a 0.6% reduction in energy costs, trees felled to feed the policing machine and much to our Governments delight a 0.6% reduction in the population of prisons. This will also lead to a 0.6% reduction in recording of crime as we will be disinterested by a factor of 0.6% in comparison to earlier levels of disinterest. Compare this to true levels of inflation and the Home Secrtary clearly knows her stuff in ensuring around a 2.5% reduction on anything by the Police being done in real terms - or at least thats what she's trying to encourage. Who says politics is complicated!

Tough on Crime, Tough on the causes of crime... shortend to Tough Tough Tough for those actually trying to make a difference.

Not enough!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Lee_D" communicated through the dark (blue) side of the force

I'm behind you matey a fair paypacket for the job when you both agree to an arbitrator welching on the deal is not on . I don't see the need for layer upon layer of politicians all with their trotters in trough imposing fines on each other which the working bloke gets to pay- viva la revolution sack the bloody lot of thieving basskits Derek having a Zapata moment

Reply to
Derek

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

At least she's shown us her arse big time I suppose. Some point in having a "Review" if you've already decided.. yet another wholesale waste of the tax payers money. Theres a whole industry in farcical reviews keeping hundreds in jobs when they aren't disclosing our personal details to all and sundry. They should be given the boot for corruption misleading the public in such a way. Interesting to see that her Scotish counterpart stuck two fingers up to the idea. Good on them I say about time they understood independance means exactly that. Be interesting to see if bobbies up north jump ship over the border for the better pay and scenary.

Now then... the march... what day is good for you? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ask away about NZ - it's not perfect here but it's an improvement on the UK.

Reply to
EMB