Diff filler plug torque settings, anyone?

HBOL doesn't list it, and the 22lb/ft for the gearbox and transfer box fillers seems too loose on the diff plugs (110, Salisbury back axle).

The rear diff oil was fairly clean, but the front was almost black. Is this normal? The swivels are greased, which made me wonder if grease was mixing with the oil somehow.

Also, the drain plug magnet for the gearbox was pretty hairy, but no large lumps. Should I be worried (she's 16 years old)?

Sorry to be dense, but I don't do this every day...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

It has a slight taper on it - so just nipping it up and doing around a ¼ turn should be sufficient. Don't over tighten it or it will get very stuck.

Nothing to worry about really. Just change it if necessary, the grease leaking through is "normal".

Personaly, I'd not get over excited, but I'd keep an eye on it. Something is on the way out - but is it worth stripping it.......yet?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , beamendsltd writes

Many thanks Richard.

"Marge' only does low mileage and gently too, but as you say, I'll watch it over the next few months.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig