How much for a switch!

So, I get home from a nice long holiday in the Far East and get into the Landy and it starts first turn of the key, even though it's -2 today...

But...

No indicators.

Down to Alan in Burniston who services it for me.

'Can't be the fuse, it has two, one for each side'

We tried the flasher unit.

No change.

'I've seen this before' Says Alan, 'It's the hazard warning switch'

Better get me one then, how much is it?

'£38'

'What!'

'Plus VAT, mind you, it only takes a minute to change...'

'Anyone else make one?'

'We did get one once, but they seem to have problems and it went back because it didn't work'

End of conversation...

It should be in stock on Thursday.

£38 for a bloody switch for a 12 year old car.
Reply to
William Black

Ah, but it's a Landrover. So you'll fit said £38 switch and they *still* won't work ... because it's a Landrover. It'll turn out to be a £0.00 loose wire ... because it's a Landrover. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That's the nice thing about the guy who works on mine

He only charges me for the work to fix what's wrong.

Mind you, it's still £20 an hour plus bits...

Reply to
William Black

William - this is a common problem. The hazard switch contacts get corroded through lack of use. Try working the hazard switch on and off a few/lots of times. It has cured it with others, and is worth trying before you spend the cash.

Reply to
Rich B

Thanks, will try it now.

Will write back if it works...

Reply to
William Black

Now have a vision of Wills neighbours wondering what he's doing now.... "..... he isn't is he?"...."Look ... look I told you so, now he's flashing!"

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Went out and tried it, no luck so far, and it's a bit chilly to persevere tonight.

I'll give it another try tomorrow morning when it's warmer and I can see what I'm doing.

However, every cloud has a silver lining, the driver's door courtesy light switch started working while I was messing about.

Reply to
William Black

All part of the service, mate.

Reply to
Rich B

Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't. Yes he is. No he isn't.

Reply to
Rich B

I am blessed, if blessed is the right word, with a number of elderly neighbours who do rather take an interest in nocturnal activities of any kind.

Especially as the lead roofs disappeared from a couple of bay windows round here late last year.

My reputation for eccentricity (runs a Defender, dresses up as a Roundhead at weekends, plays the guitar etc etc...) will be enhanced by this incident.

Reply to
William Black

That's cheap!

Audi A4 or a volvo x70 series car- the Hazzard switches for those wont leave you any change from £90.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The Defender hazard switch is a standard Lucas part. I got mine from off Ebay from Island4x4 =A316.99 + =A31 P&P

or item 150178136587 if the above link doesn't work.

Colin

Colin Reed

or item 150178136587 if the above link doesn't work.

------------------------------------

Goodness he has got some cheap bits.

Unfortunately my bit has already been ordered, but next time I'll certainly consider that source.

Reply to
William Black

Ask how much a new clock is then!

Reply to
Nige

When I bought the car I was told then (in 1996) that it was £110.

The salesman seemed to think it was a plus point...

I must assume that prices have gone up since then.

Reply to
William Black

£167
Reply to
Nige

Plus, one assumes, VAT...

Does anyone actually ever buy a replacement one?

Or do they just get hold of a cheap clock, probably from one of the kit car companies who do round instruments, that fits in the space...

Reply to
William Black

On or around Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:43:41 -0000, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

The different switch types are different prices. dunno if they're interchangeable, but the one of the early 110 is cheapest.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:52:03 -0000, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

on mine the bugger just fell apart

Reply to
Austin Shackles