disco bulb change

I've just spent about an hour changing the offside stop bulb on my 1996 discovery! I tried to do the job last night in the dark, but gave up 'cause I couldn't see what I was doing. Tried again earlier this evening and this time removed the rear seat first - is there a way of refitting this that does not involve jamming your fingers between sharp bits of metal? What a job - managed to identify and remove stop bulb holder - could not manage to refit it due to the rubber gasket getting in the way and the inability of my hand to work inside the cramped and awkward space. To make things easier - !!! - I decided to remove the whole lamp unit by unscrewing the plastic wing nuts. What a bugger - very difficult to reach and punishing treatment of my knuckles to try and unscrew in the confined space. Worst to come - after successfully replacing the bulb holder I tried to refit the lamp unit. Could I get the plastic wing nuts to fit back onto the thread - could I f**k. Dropped the bugger which of course, fell under the foam and tried to escape into the depths where I couldn't reach. I just managed to retrieve it and after about another 12 attempts managed to get the thing back on the thread. Have I missed some trick or is it always this awkward.

Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray

Welcome to the club Davy its been an item discussed before and it is a sod to do I'll offer a couple of tips- if you pull the rear seat about halfway down it is just possible to do the job without removal though getting the cover off is still evil , while you have the cluster out get a nice small brass brush ( 2 packs of 3 assorted for a quid from Poundland) and polish the ends of the securing studs and the contact area if it is showing signs of rust (note the penny pinching making the tracks out of steel instead of brass ) before reassembly grease them next time you should be able to remove the bulb holders without taking the cluster out.plus it should slow down the rusting. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Welcome to the wonderful world of production engineering Land Rover style :-)

'tis a bugger ain't it?

Reply to
SteveG

There is a reason why my light clusters on the back are held in with double sided tape.....

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with rotten floor 200 TDi DIsco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I had a similar problem, was charged at MOT time £45 for changing bulb. Asked why, told had to take seat out. I showed them how to do it in 1 minute. Drop seat 1/2 way put arm UP from bottom. NO PROBLEM

Reply to
tomtom

On or around Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:29:56 GMT, "tomtom" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, you can do it. but not easily, depends on the size/strength ratio of yer hands.

Reply to
Austin Shackles