Disco Electric Window.

Hi, The front drivers side window has developed and awful sounding 'clunk' as it passes the half way down point. It is not as bad going up. It sounds and bumps like it is catching on something....

Has anyone else had this?

How hard is it to take all the door panel off to have a look Any traps to be aware of??

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Peter D

Hihi Pete,

Its prolly the window runner (the bit that holds the glass) rusting away and a corner has been bent out and is getting caught, hence the clunk.

BTW you will prolly find the other side starts to clunk soon :-/

Good Luck,

Reply to
LCDMan

After I had my passenger door repaired mine clunks about halfway, it was ok before. Need to take the trim off and have a look Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Pete,

this is sometimes caused by one or more of the nylon rollers that run on the lower window guide shearing from its centre mounting, and failing to keep the window glass square in the runners on the downward stroke, causing it to hang up about halfway down with quite a loud bang.

The roller mount pivot is rivetted to the actuating arm, and according to Landrover is only repairable by replacement of the entire actuating assembly, I think this may also include the electric motor.

It is possible if you have the means, to de-rivet the roller centre, and replace the roller, I have done two on my disco, manufactured from Nylon 66 bar.

Removing the door panel needs the tool manufactured by Draper so as not to damage the door panel mountings - if you try to pull the panel off, you will more than likely either shear off the mounts or pull them away from the panel mount.

Behind the door panel is the usual waterproof barrier that can be carefully peeled off, warming it with a hair drier will make it easier to remove. The window actuating unit is secured to the door with 10mm bolts, and to the window mounting with pk Screws - remember to support the glass when removing the actuator or it will form a very effective guillotine. I use a pair of small wooden wedges between the glass and the top door trim.

To replace one roller- including manufacture-takes about an hour and a half and uses about a pounds worth of Nylon 66, I hate to think how much a new actuator assembly is!!

Best of luck

John

Reply to
John

Hi Same here last September A front regulator (actuator) is about £64. No need for a new electric motor as the old one can be unbolted It's not a difficult job with the right tools and it's a problem that gets worse with time! Infact Pete, in my experience you've got ten days before the broken roller comes out of the runner completely and the motor twists the regulator into a (beautiful) piece of (art) scrap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris