Which Tyre Size?

I'm thinking of reshoeing the Disco II with some nice BFG All Terrains (or maybe Goodyear MTRs). According to an article on Disco2.com

I can go up to245/75 or 265/70 without needing surgery, although the spare wheel carrieris a bit touch-and-go at that size. Both these sizes give about the same rolling radius (774 and 777mm diameter respectively). Anybody have any thoughts on which would be best? I tend to be more rocky than muddy. Is wider better, or will I regret the loss in turning circle?

Also, I keep hearing people saying you can put bigger boots on if you get a suspension lift. For example, an article on ExpeditionExchange

talks about 265/75s(that's 804mm diameter, or 9% larger than standard 235/70s) with a 2" lift,and the Disco2 article also talks about bigger tyres with lifts. But surely this is a misconception. When the supension is fully compressed, the tyres are going to be rammed up into the wheel arch just as much on a vehicle with a suspension lift as without, surely? The bump stops are in the same place, so why would the lift make a difference?

Thanks for comments, David.

Reply to
David French

David,

The suspension lift enables you to fit bigger boots without body cutting. When the suspension is put to work hard, the rear axle moves backwards into the arch and the front forward. If the tyre "fits" into the arch on normal settings, when pushed back it should slot in.

However, without the lift, you have the bigger tyre and it wants to move back into the slot and further (you did either keep your anti-roll bar or get longer bump stops for 2" lift above I assume!).

The 2" extra rolling radius has to be accounted for somewhere ;-)

Reply to
The Neffalump

compressed,

Ground clearance between the ground and the diffs?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D