Tyres on a disco and clutch

Hello again

on the first serie disco's the tyre choise is restricted to 235/70/16, what damage can be done when I fit a 235/85/16 General TR without modification

Is it true that the clutch on a disco can be removed without removing thze engine or gearbox (meaning: can I shift the gearbox to the rear to make place)

Dan

Reply to
del mac s

You can (if you get enough articulation in the axles) mangle the bodywork. I think the fronts tend to fit without bodywork mods but the rears definitely don't. I've had different answers from different people, but the reference vehicle for this mod is 'Piglet', which has the rear arches neatly cut away.

You may also find that you have to modify the steering lock stops to prevent fouling of the various suspension / steering bits under full lock.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

235/70 isn't the only size, though 235/85 will need wheelarch mods or a lift. I've just fitted 255/65/16 to standard alloys on a friends 1996 Disco and they grip quite well! :)
Reply to
Exit