Disco Low Ratio Judder?

Hi,
We are seriously looking at buying a 97 Auto V8i Discovery (76,000kms). It is a good looking example which at last sale was an
approved LR vehicle with FSH. We really like the car but two things concern me from a test drive.
Please note I am new to 4WD's...
1. I tried selecting low ratio just to try it. The car pulls away OK then as I let my foot off the accelerator it really judders badly as it slows. I found this quite disturbing! The dealer says he has made enquiries and has been told that this sometimes happens in 'Drive' and may be better in 1, 2 or 3. I must say I am not convinced as it hasn't been like that on any other example we have tried. The test was just done on a flat tarmac road.
2. The ABS light intermittently goes on and off??
Any advice on the above would be much appreciated.
Thanks Pete

What happens if you decelerate gently? This sounds to me like a side effect of the low gearing and I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. But if you can, find a steep hill, drive down it in low box and see if it judders then. It shouldn't.
David
Pete Dawson wrote:

Was the diff-lock in or out? You can use low-ratio on a soild surface, but if the diff is locked the transmission will wind up very quickly causing juddering and so on. I wouldn't be too concerned about this. To say it would be better in 1,2 or 3 instead of drive is nonsense.

The ABS light should come on when started and go off when you reach around 10mph. If it goes on and off after this it needs attention. It sounds like a sticky ABS sensor to me but it's up to the dealer to fix it before you buy.

Sounds like a good motor, but get the dealer to sort these things if he wants your money, sounds like he's just giving you excuses at the moment in the hope you'll buy it anyway.
--
Julian
---------