disco rear lights????

Can someone tell me which year that disco's had the various rear light set ups. Mine is a 94 and has rear lights in the bumper and only brake lights at the sides of the body. On the way home today i was behind another L reg with rear lights in the bumper and in the side of the body lso its indicators were in the bumper and the body side. I notice the Disco 2 only has rear lights on the sides of the body and not in the bumper.

Next question is, Can i convert mine so i also have rear lights in the body where the brake lights are now and still keep my lights in the bumper. hope this makes some sense , Thanks GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Can someone tell me which year that disco's had the various rear light set ups. Mine is a 94 and has rear lights in the bumper and only brake lights at the sides of the body. On the way home today i was behind another L reg with rear lights in the bumper and in the side of the body lso its indicators were in the bumper and the body side. I notice the Disco 2 only has rear lights on the sides of the body and not in the bumper.

Next question is, Can i convert mine so i also have rear lights in the body where the brake lights are now and still keep my lights in the bumper. hope this makes some sense , Thanks GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

On 28/02/2004 06:10 Gary G Jones wrote

I don't know what an "L" reg is as I'm in Australia. I have a 1998 Disco and it has indicators and tail lights in the bumper and in the read guards.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

Gary G Jones posted ...

Mine's a 'P' '97 and has lights in the sides and bumper .. ;) There was a thread in this group a while back, you could google for it, where someone posted details of the wiring mod (extremely simple) that needs to be done to get them all working ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Reply to
stephen.oconnell

I thought i remembered it being something to do with the eu laws etc when they first came out, makes you laugh now when you see half the bloody cars on the roads with one working headlight and lorries that look like a ufo coming up the road. Saw one the otherday that had what looked like a giant pair of glasses spread the full length of its winscreen all in red. Not to mention those bloody stupid blue head light washer replacement jet led's that seem to standard fit these days to all alloy wheeled 1.0L corsa's GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Reply to
StaffBull

Reply to
Gary G Jones

The idea was to overcome the problem of wheels on rear doors, eg Disco, obscuring the tail and hazard lights when the door was open. One solution was to fit an additional tail light in the edge of the door, the other (per Discos) was to locate the lights in the bumper or high enough in the pillars so that they were above the spare wheel.

Quite sensible when you think about it. EU has nothing to do with local enforcement .

Rgds Richards

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:50:59 +0000 (UTC), "Gary G Jones" enlightened us thusly:

you can apparently use Maestro van rear lamp clusters to get ones with indicators and reversing lights an' all in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I thought i remembered it being something to do with the eu laws etc when they first came out, The idea was to overcome the problem of wheels on rear doors, eg Disco, obscuring the tail and hazard lights when the door was open. One solution was to fit an additional tail light in the edge of the door, the other (per Discos) was to locate the lights in the bumper or high enough in the pillars so that they were above the spare wheel.

Quite sensible when you think about it. EU has nothing to do with local enforcement .

Rgds Richards

Does make sense, looking at the disco with its rear door open but why they removed the higher level side lights is beyond me, would make more sense to have both rather than just the low bumper ones, I have followed Disco's on many a wet night and with just the bumper lights they can vanish quiet easily from view due to road spray, i guess thats why they went to having bumper and side rear lights in the end. I take that the Disco 2 rear lights are high enough to be seen when the rear door is open. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Yep, it would have made total sense to have bumper and pillar lights - but that's politicians for you! And I agree about bumper lit Disco's dissapearing. The dubious lights on my RR is the reason I swopped the wiring for rear fog and stop lights so that I now have single filament bulbs for stop lights and dual filament bulbs for tail and fog lights. Very arresting sight, especially as operating the hazard lights makes the fog lights flash as well and I have fitted the NAS side lights in the side reflectors but wired across the supply to tail and indicator bullbs rather than across tail supply and earth!

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage