Disco TD5 steering box

Just got back from a mad dash round Ireland and discovered that:

The Irish roads are truely crap once you get off the main roads. My shocks are knackered big style and to cap it all...... The steering box (the unit what the power steering pipes go into) is leaking like a leaking thing.

So......with regards to the steering box, is it easy to change the seals or do i change the whole box??. Have heard horror stories about getting the arm off.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Be certain it is the steering box leaking let it drip onto white paper if it aint red you have what I used to, got MOT advisories ( RRC & Disco 300) yet no loss of level in the resr - reason oil coolers weeping at union with flexible pipe and the first place it drops is on the box ( I am presuming the TD5 is same setup). I didn't have problems loosening the arm on the 300 Disco it did it itself failing that air chisel.

DerekW

Reply to
DerekW

On or around Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:01:20 -0700 (PDT), Dom J enlightened us thusly:

There used to be a bit on the N1 (or some such, Irish equivalent of the A1) where 2 authorities were in dispute over which of them was responsible for maintaining the road. As a result, neither of them did...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All was going swimmingly until we got to the end of the motorway at Athlone. It just sort of ended in a mass of cones. Then ended up on the R roads.....jesus,,,glad i took the Disco to be honest. The 20km+ from Athlone to Moniva was the most tiring drive i have ever done.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J