Discovery 2 winch bumper

Hi all. Would anybody know if the dimensions of the bodywork on a discovery 1 is the same as a discovery 2. The reason I ask is that I need a winch bumper, but the only one I like the look of is the tubular type, though they arn't for the disco 2, I expect this is just down to a lack of crush cans, however I am not sure of the dimensions between early and late discoverys, if they are the same, then no problems. Also would anyone know of a way to disable the airbag system while playing off road, just in case I do go down this route?

Reply to
Dad

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:51:22 GMT, "Dad" scribbled the following nonsense:

ISTR reading in one comic that while the panels from 200 and 300 Discos can be changed, the only only panel which was directly carreid over from the D1 to D2 with no changes was the tailgate. Although they look similar body wise, each panel is just slightly different.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I was under the impression that airbags don't fire unless you had fairly head on collision and with vehicle speed above about 30mph.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is more or less my understanding, however I suspect that a winch bumper without the crush cans would transmit any impact force direct to the chassis and set the air bags earlier, don't fancy paying a grand or more to sort air bags due to a recoiling snapped strop or winch rope, hence the ability to disable the airbags would be handy. snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com

Reply to
Dad

But the vehicle won't be traveling, or rather think it's travelling at,

30mph will it?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave L is right - it's done with accelerometers - a slight bump, or in LR's case a jolt off-road, shouldn't set the bags off.

There's an interesting bit of film of a prototype Discovery being driven "into" a trench about 1ft wide to test that the bags dont go off at low speed.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I saw that one, too. My recollection was that the speed wasn't that low either. If Dad(Simon) has seen it he would have no concerns.

Reply to
Dougal

...and Dougal spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Link?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I looked into this when I owned a Disco2. The Width of a series 2 is greater than a series 1 and the winch bumpers will not fit.

I understand that if you buy a winch bumper not designed for airbags then the problem caused is that they will not fire in an accident rather than false triggers off road. I trialled and played with my disco 2 over some rough terrain and never had a problem with airbags.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Hunt

Some one needs to ask LR... I'm not that keen on airbags, I've got used to sitting inches away from a small bomb but I still don't like it.

I much prefer a properly fitted belt, ie lap belt low down across my hips with just trousers and underwear between it and me, diagonal belt with as little as possible between it and me across chest and shoulder. When I argued with a wall and flipped Mondeo the airbags didn't go off but I was held firmly, if not forceably, into the seat, very little slack in the belt. I've got the kids to tuck the lap belt well down, need to educate SWMBO'd at some point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice