Freelander or discovery

Freelander or discovery?

Usage 10% off road i.e. dirt track,

Budget £8000

Want diesel, Air con, Automatic.

What are the draw backs to a freelander? Do the Landy fraternity look down on them?

Reply to
wps

Ground clearance, mainly. They're actually excellent off road, for most dirt track type activities.

Yes, but unfairly so. Most of us who have ever seen one used properly offroad don't look down on them any more!

I'd say both would be fine for your needs, although you may struggle to get either a Freelander TD4 or a Disco TD5 for that budget. Try both and see which one you'd prefer. I'd personally go for a Disco 300Tdi, for the extra room, better driving position, and more flexibility for hauling big loads around, but there's nothing wrong with the Freelander at all.

The L series Diesel in the Freelander before the TD4 was not all that great for the car, but by no means disastrous. This may shape your decision.

David

Reply to
David French

Hi!

We only look down on them 'cos they are lower :) I've got a V6 Freebie as well as the V8 Disco...love 'em both :) Trouble is the V6 drinks fuel faster and isn't as good as the old tank offroad! ;)

Neil Founder

(Fun, Friendly and FREE)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Hi,

I have a 2003 Freelander TD4 and previously a 2000 turbo-diesel. Nothing to choose between them off-road but the BMW engine in the current car is a nicer drive, more powerful and greater fuel economy (circa 38mpg despite my best efforts...)

Eight grand will probably get you a 98 TD Freelander, but it's unlikely to buy a TD4, IMHO. Have look on Ebay for current private pricing. Both my cars were/are manual, and the auto in the current model TD4 is as good as they get - and very usable off-road, if the car I drove for my LRE day was anything to go by.

The 300TDi Disco is a much bigger car, way more interior space and carrying capacity but less punchy to drive and heavier on fuel.

In regards to off-road and the perception that Hippos are inferior to Disco's and RRs I can only say that the only big issue for the Hippo is ground clearance. The car will happily scoot along muddy forest tracks, steep damp fields(where the narrower tyres perform better than the standard rubber on Discos and RRs, snowy roads etc etc.

Doubtless there are "purists" who may well decry the Hippo as an SUV for the school run, but all the Series and 90/100 types I've driven off-road in mine have been very impressed.

How much space do you need?

Cheers.

Reply to
Tim Biller

Your not really comparing like with like, so it is not possible to really say on is better than the other. Each has its' merits!

Yes,as a rule, as the Freelander is a 4 wheel drive car, not an off-roader - it's the first Land Rover product where utility and off-road ability have not been the top requirments.

See below...

I've seen a Freelander in an RTV trial, and for that sort ("proper" or "real"?) off roading it is simply not in the same league as any other Land Rover product - that's not slagging it off, it does what it was designed to do very well. Someone described it thus just after the launch, and personaly I think they have hit the nail on the head - it's "a Land Rover for those who don't want a Land Rover!"

That is a serious question - more space, less fuel economy. what is your priority?

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I have 2003 Disco, but having been on the LR 'Experience' half day the Freelander is shown to be a highly impressive off-roader. Ground clearance may be a factor for the Disco and ability to tow bigger loads.

Reply to
Chopper

I followed a brand new one around Tong a couple of years back in my Series 2 with mud tyres on. There were a few places where I though 'nah', but then had to, because the Freebie had strolled through!

You will get a much better Disco for 8 grand than Freelander. I don't think there is much history of Freelanders hitting 200K and going strong, whereas there are loads of Discos at that mileage still giving sterling service.

Diesel auto Discoverys are not wonderful though...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I've had a disco 97TDI es auto for 3 years and it has been faultless, all the toys, great off road, fun and comfortable on road, puts me into "cruising" mode on road, won't be superquick so don't try. Love the vehicle, but sadly due to work have to let it go, currently up for sale for slightly over your price if you're interested.

Tony

Reply to
apk1

Yes, but the questioner wanted to drive down some muddy tracks, not enter an RTV trial. In which case, there's not really that much in it. We took a Freelander across Sarn Helen, along with some Discos and tricked up Defenders, and it went anywhere the others went, with the slight drawback that it bottomed out from time to time. But even then it kept going!

David

Reply to
David French

I was merely pointing out it's limitations. I can think of plenty of lanes in Wales and the Peaks that a Freelander would not be able to use, not least due to ruts!!!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Auto is more reliable option, given the grief with earlier R380 boxes. I've heard it said that the 300TDi is a bit underpowered to shove an auto, but having only driven the manual cannot really comment (so shouldn't have done!).

V8 auto is nice though! And I can comment on that one, even though I eventually ended up with a manual.

How about a quick poll - what's the highest mileage Freelander out there?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

My engine overheated and blew at 110,00 km

Reply to
Lester Niss