Overdrive Rattle

..the overdrive in my Series III rattles like a bag of nails. I'm pretty sure its the lever thats rattling, since if I hold it - the rattle stops. Is this a common thing? ..or should I also point out that occasionally at speed - it has a tendency to disengage the overdrive. sometimes.

Any suggestions as to where might be a good start to look at diagnosing / solving this?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Gowans

yes most gearsticks in landies rattle to more or lesser degree.

yours may be loose due to vibrating for some time .

check the linkages that connect overdrive unit to the gearbox and also check there is oil in the overdrive gearbox, you should be able to remove the gearbox tunnel cover and then take off the plate on top of overdrive unit and look inside to see oil level .

make sure the linkage mounting plate is securely bolted to the gearbox .

Reply to
M0bcg

The lever on my overdrive rattles a lot too. If i tighten the bolt at the bottom of the lever up a bit it stops the rattle, but means that the overdrive lever is almost impossible to move.

I'm assuming that the lever/linkage is hitting the tunnel cover. When i next have to take the floor out i might bash the tunnel outwards a bit to see if it will make it clear the linkage a bit more. Might have a look at it this weekend. Will try wedging it first to see if it stops it. After that its time for some hitting it a bit i reckon :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Strategically placed elastic bands / bungee cord????

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D