Discovery II.....dead as a DoDo

My father-in-law has just come round to tell me that the Discovery is making an odd noise, so went out to investigate. Couldn't hear anything so fetched keys and discovered I couldn't unlock using remote keyfob. Fetched other set of keys and still no doors opening, so used to key to unlock drivers door.

There is a noise - not vey loud. I can hear a repetative thumping sound when near to or in the car. Have tried to start it and nothing happens and have no lights on dash - its just not doing anything at all, so have locked it up and come in doors. Its as dead as a DoDo.

Am going to go out and see if it's still the same and then going to phone Bruce. Any ideas on what has gone wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Nikki

Check battery and connections would be first thought. If it can't be unlocked via fob, open with key, shut door, lock with fob then unlock with fob (to deactivate immobiliser). That's what I had to do with mine once when the fob wouldn't unlock it for some reason, but it sounds like your battery has totally flattened, might be worth checking alternator once you get it running again. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

in article IdCdneq_ snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Badger at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 9/5/06 12:15 pm:

Battery was totally flat when Bruce went out to look at it so has replaced it with the one from the other Discovery for now. Alarm started as soon as it was connected and keyfobs work. Going to pick up a brand new battery from Multicell after I've taken the girls to school. Bruce says it was the original LR battery, 6 years old and just packed up, but will get the alternator checked just incase.

Thanks

Reply to
Nikki

I remember on a previous vehicle the battery dying with no apparent warning and was told that in the winter (cold) they tend to show signs of sluggishness first but in warmer weather they quite often die suddenly.

Lizzy

Reply to
LizzyTaylor