Discovery - loss of power throught water

Hello - I was driving on a main road that was flooded by about a foot of water. For the first 20 yards the vehicle was fine, then the engine started to lose power and just managed to tick over for about another 30 yards until I was back on dry road the engine gradually recovered and has been fine since. Any ideas why this happened? I have a LR Discovery TD5 (2001).

Reply to
grahame.newell

Probably water got into a sensor or two, or maybe the wiring (though it recovered a bit too quicky for the latter), causing something to go to default setting. TestBook may be able to see the fault, but most liklely it has cleared by now.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 03:09:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@homecall.co.uk wrote (in article ):

I am rather surprised. I thought the discovery was good to 20 inches by spec. I have had water over the hood of my 96 twice and water coming in the drivers side window once without a problem.

Want a scary feeling? Have your discovery start to float. Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:20:43 -0600, Disco Duck scribbled the following nonsense:

20 inches at fording speed to build up the bow wave... have seen people hydraulic their engine in "safe depth" water by hitting it at a zillion miles an hour to create a huge splash, and then it backwashes into the engine bay and wheel arches!
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I was in a 110 yesterday. That would never float. Not that it was too heavy - rather that water would pour in around the doors. Then again, if water gets inside a D2, and thence to the ECU(s) you can be pretty well stuffed I believe.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison