Discovery Manual Recommendation?

Hi, I've finally launched myself on the path to possible financial ruin and bought a land rover. Can't get the smile off my face! I've been trying to do this for many years.

It's a 97 Discovery V8. I'm not an experienced mechanic, I've only ever changed oil on cars, but I am an engineer (software) and therefore reasonably technically minded. I'm keen to start doing what maintenance I can without serious special tooling.

Can anybody recommend a good manual and where it can be sourced. I presume there isn't enough detail on the web???

Are there any websites with service mileages and checklists?

Thanks Pete

Reply to
Pete Dawson

Haynes. It's not the best, but it's easily available, and takes things from a drivers point of view rather than a fully qualified mechanic.

Just remember "refitting is the reverse of removal". The spanner rating is also of use. Be sure however to note that anything above a 3 spanner rating will require a couple of NASA shuttle engineers, a complete Land Rover workshop of tools.

H.

I recommend an e-bay search and get the RAVE CD - mine cost £2. Not strictly kosha, but as I own the full doorstop workshop manual as well I don't feel too guilty.

Haynes is OK for a lot of stuff, but for anything complicated the workshop manual is very good. I also find the WSM much better for diagnostic stuff as well.

I change engine oil at least every 6000 miles, but usually sooner (especially now my mileages have dropped), gearboxes and diffs at

12000 miles. This is more frequent than the book suggests, but oils are cheaper than gearboxes...

has a good number of Discovery owners on it, and is also worth joining up to.

HTH

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I just purchased the RAVE CD on Ebay for something like £7 (plus £8 express mail to Canada). I don't think you can get a better deal than this. Aftermarket vendors in NA want $90US for the paper manual and I don't know if this even includes as much info as the RAVE CD.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

The proper Workshop manual and parts book, while not cheap, are well worth the expense imo. CD's are all well and good but nothing beats the paper version, especially in the workshop/street/drive ;-))

See also

for lots ofgeneral LR advice and tips. HIH - Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Couldn't agree more ... paper copies for the real work but it's nice to be able to throw them away and print up a clean set when they get covered in oil :-)

Regards Steve G

Reply to
SteveG