Discovery Rear Door

The rear door on my 97 Discovery is resisting any attempt to open it, and no amount of playing with the central locking will free it up. Is this likely to be an expensive fix requiring a solenoid replacement or anything? Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if there is a home fix for it?

Thanks

Doug in Vancouver

Reply to
Doug Gifford

Hold the key in the 'unlock' position whilst operating the handle. Mine has been like that for about a year - one day I'll get a replacement bit for it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I had the same with mine ages ago. By stripping out the door trim from the inside I was able to get the lock open again via the connecting rods which I duly adjusted - it's worked fine ever since.

HTH

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

When mine did that (also 1997 model) If found it was because the handle itself was sticking and stopping the handle from returning far enough to reset the lock. The solution was to use a screwdriver to pry the handle/ flap back fully before attempting to open it.

Copious amounts of WD40 freed it off followed later by a good coating of grease around the hinge pin to keep it that way.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Using a flat and relatively long screwdriver you can remove the LAND ROVER oval badge located in the middle of the black plastic cover of the exterior handle and door lock assembly.

After doing so spray liberal amounts of WD40 or similar spray and start working on the door handle. Most probably it will free itself and you will be able to open the door.

After doing so I would suggest you do not use grease but spray lots of graphite spray inside the whole area. Graphite spray can be found at electronic parts stores and contrary to grease it does not attract dust leading to similar sticking problems in the future. Graphite has excellent lubing properties so it operates like grease does but without the dust problems.

Take care and hope this works Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi I agree with all the above and I found, once you do get the door open that tightening the screws that hold the lock assembly in place helps too.. Jet washes tend to wash out all the lube too and create the symtoms you describe. Lee Disco 300tdi auto

Reply to
-Lee- Disco 300 Tdi -95-Auto

If it's the little motor died then whatever you do *don't* buy a Landrover replacement part. Buy one from Maplin instead. Theirs cost less than 10ukp and fit perfectly. Can't remember the part number right now but it's short and has a 79 in it I think.

I've replaced three out of the four 'slave' motors in our Discovery so far with these.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary Sutherland