Dislocated Discovery clutch fork

I was replacing the master and slave cylinders on my 200Tdi to rectify a failing clutch. This all went alright until I removed the slave cylinder!!! On removing this, it pulled not only the pushrod, but also the clutch fork out of alignment. The release fork now rattles around and doesn't engage with anything it should.

Does anyone have any experience of realigning these without taking the transmission / engine apart?

I do love my landy, and that's the only reason I think anyone should ever buy one. Having maintained a number of cars, I was "incandescent" for a number of minutes considering how anyone could pass a design where this is able to happen.

Ho hum, any help appreciated...

Mark Begbie

In article , Mark Begbie writes

It should not happen....... But can if you are unlucky.

The pivot ball can pull out of its' mounting due to the "glue" failing. never normally a problem during normal use.

I have had one customer that was involved in a very minor (low speed) head on crash. The pivot ball did the same as yours due to the impact. That made a few people scratch their head when his clutch failed after a little shunt.

Reply to
marc

Thanks Marc.

I fiddled around for a while trying to get it back in, then basically decided that something MUST have come adrift in there as there seemed to be no point at which anything got in the way of the for like I'd expect the pivot to!!

Anyway, after 130k it's about due for a new clutch anyway, and it needs a crakn shaft oil seal, and it'll be a good oportunity to see the state of the transfer box and shafts, and and and......

Sent it to me freindly landy man in Larbert as I ain't got the lifting kit to take the 'box out myself.

Mark Begbie