Distressing smell

Still a slight smell of petrol coming from the rear of the S3 despite overhauling carb and checking all pipes. Oh dear. Then I fill up the petrol tank to 2/3 and smell gets even worse. Oh deary dear. Probably got a crack in the tank. Better take it into the garage and get it up on the high-lift so we can have a look.

"What seems to be the problem then?" So I explain and we spend a good 15 mins rummaging around and eventually find a damp patch on top of the u-bend shaped bit in the middle of the tank.

"Well, I reckon you've got a crack in the tank, then." Genius. "Way I see it is: you've got 2 choices. You can either replace the tank, or never fill it over half-way." Had I been paying money for this advice I would have been less than enamoured with the depth of Dorset insight. But as it is only costing me a beer I am dutifully grateful for the dispensed wisdom and trundle off home to look up tanks on Paddocks.

Now I come to the problem. Apparently there are 2 types of tank on LWB rear-fill S3s. One with a 'six-screw sender' and one with a 'metal-clip sender'. However, because the bolts holding the tank up are really rusty, and so is the tank, I will probably damage it in removing it to have a look. And Paddocks don't stock the six-screw version any more, so I would like to be really certain before I replace it.

Does anyone know how I can tell which tank I have without taking it off the vehicle first? Or, does anyone know where you can get the six-screw version of the tank if I need that one?

TIA

Dan.

Reply to
Dan Burdge

There should be ( at least there was on mine ) an inspection hatch type thingy in the rear floor, to allow access to the sender and the pipework.

Reply to
Smurf

The early tank was fitted on S3 up to Suffix B chassis (about 1975, IIRC) There should, however, be two small access panels in the load bed which can be removed to access the sender.

The early tank with screws is still available from Craddocks, but rekon to shell out about £300+ for it.

It would be easier to get the later tank and the sender to go with it if you have the early type.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Dan Burdge

Consider having your tank repaired. I had a Series I tank repaired a few years ago when I couldn't locate a suitable replacement. My tank had rotted at a number of places and was in a very poor condition - holes in the base and half way up the rear.

Hartlepool Radiator Company use the Re-Nu process and give a "lifetime warranty".

They arranged to collect and deliver from/to Surrey and it was all very prompt and easy.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale