306 petrol smell

I have just had my car serviced and mot'd, before this the car was fine no smell at all. After the mot i got my tax and got it.

I was driving down the road with my windows shut there is no smell as soon as i open my window/windows i get a nasty smell of petrol i just bought an air freshener so i got rid of it, still same petrol smell.

I have checked my fuel pump under the rear passenger seat no leaks there i followed the pipes from the pump to the injector rail, still no splits or leaks, there is also no smell or leaks around the engine area either.

The smell is coming from the rear.

Im not sure if this is normal but when i turn the the engine and ignition off the fuel pump primes, but every 3/5 mins for a couple of times?!?!?!?! But i checked the whole pipe system from pump to injector rail and theres no leaks.

The back end has not been touched and i have never jacked it up in the wrong place as i dont use garages i rather do repair work myself as i service the car myself every year and im pretty good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks for your interest of reading ;o)

Reply to
downwithdarkness

My 2 cents:

  1. the active carbon filter hiding inside the right front wheel arch may be saturated by the fuel. It may be need to replace or run the car for a long trip (when the car is running at cruise speed there is a solenoid will open then the fuel absorbed by the filter will flow into the inlet manifold. The solenoid is located near the right side of the engine bay near the front suspension top.

Reply to
Yuting Wan

The smell is coming from the back of the car there is nothing wrong at the front iv checked it all.

One of my friends said it could be the breather pipe which comes down with the filler pipe that goes into the fuel tank?

Many thanks

Reply to
downwithdarkness

Are you sure the fuel filter connections are made properly, either the push on and click type or the clip type?

Reply to
Nigel

Check for a leak/drip just in front of the back right wheel - a short section of rubber tube failed on ours there. Took it in, pretty cheap to have done. Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges