DIY Waxoyl

< snip >

Aahhh, my mistake. Sorry, from your email address I wrongly assumed that you were on Speyside. If you do a search for Advie on autoroute you'll find exactly where I meant, a few miles south of Aberlour down the A95. Due north from advie - straight up the side of a steep hill - is the person I was referring to, working out of an old smallholding.

Glad to hear that you have someone local you can trust, makes a big difference. Sorry for my misunderstandings mate. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I thought they were the same (apart from the colour ;-). Are they indeed different?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

They are the same except for the colour. I only use the clear stuff.

Reply to
Richard

They are different and the black lasts much longer in areas prone to harsh environments such as the wheelarch area and exposed chassis. Believe it, because I have used both extensively over the years and have given up on the clear stuff. Either are better than nothing though and are equally effective in the medium term.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I seem to remember that on the box the probe came in that it states to only use the probe with the clear stuff. I didn't use the probe I brought but I assumed they mention this because the clear stuff is thinner and won't block it.

Reply to
Simon Barr

They have two types of black stuff. One is to be sprayed (like the clear stuff and comes in the same containers, only marked black instead of clear). The other is to be brushed on, and is indeed a lot thicker and much more resistant and suitable for underbody and wheelarch.

My question was more about the sprayable one. I always thought they were the same and are according to the box are to be used in the same way (thinned with white spirit is to be sprayed).

Any definitive answer?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

snip

There is very little difference between "black" and "clear" (which sets to a sort of translucent amber colour) Waxoyl. The black stuff just has 3% bitumen added to give it the black colour. That 3% is not enough to make any appreciable difference to the abrasion resistance of the "black" waxoyl. It is purely a matter of taste which you use. You can use the clear if you want to keep the underside "honest", ie. not cover anything up or black if you want to tidy everything up.

If you want to use something which is abrasion resistant then you need to use "Waxoyl Underseal" which. The Waxoyl Underseal is not quite so good at killing rust so there is a trade off. If the underside is a bit rusty, better to put Waxoyl on first - leave it to set for about a week and then apply Waxoyl Underseal over the top.

Take it from me, I know what I am talking about - I rusproof with Waxoyl for a living and I have done my homework very thoroughly. (I do everything very thorougly!)

Cheers Chris Parkinson

chris

Hello Chris see you get around a bit

Peter

Reply to
scorpio

Hi Peter,

LOL. You know me - I've got to keep these diyers on the straight and narrow :-)

Cheers Chris

Reply to
chris

Hi Chris, I have actually thought of bringing the "beastie" down from Anglesey for your attention as I want it done right and it sounds like one hell of a lot of DIY hassle!. What does a 100" Disco come in as, a 90" or

110" for pricing ?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
StaffBull