Door pillar protection

I am currently replacing both foortwells on my SIII. When I removed the old ones I realised that I have the opportunity to do something with the insides of the door pillars to protect them from furure corrosion - they are in reasonable condition at the moment. What can the group suggest? I was thinking of coating everything in waxoyl, but my local parts supplier reckons that if it starts to flake away, it can hold moisture next to the metal and be worse than having nothing at all in there.

Any thoughts?

James

Reply to
James

On or around Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:17:44 +0000 (UTC), "James" enlightened us thusly:

a local garage chappie used to make his own concoction out of 50% waxoyl,

25% black underseal and 25% clean unused engine oil. I say used to, in that he's now taken to using the "black" waxoyl, which apparently performs similarly well and is ready-mixed...
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I spoke to a friend in Finland about rust protection. He said they use chain saw oil which is sticky, presumably thinning it with a solvent. But MOT inspectors don't like it on external areas, so be warned!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

in article Xns94545403B87EEderryadviegundogscou@130.133.1.4, Derry Argue at snipped-for-privacy@adviegundogs.co.uk wrote on 17/12/03 8:15:

I spraid the rusty areas of my door pillers with an aerosol type of grease used to lub moterbike chains, it hasn't cured the rust but the pillers havn't rotted anymore.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Hi James,

Your local parts supplier does not know what he is talking about. Waxoyl does not flake away and neither does it hold moisture next to the metal. Did you not see my test which ran several times in LRO and LRE showing Waxoyl and other rustproofing waxes applied straight over salt water on steel panels? Waxoyl displaces moisture. Having said this, it is quite common to see Waxoyl put on so thick in doors that it "pancakes" off the surface. Waxoyl should be put on in a smooth, even coat. Sprayed on if possible.

Cheers Chris Parkinson

Chris Parkinson

On or around 17 Dec 2003 08:15:09 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

when I took the 110 for MOT, the chap said "I can't tell if this front damper is buggered 'cos there's so much oil all over the place"

I commented that it'd better not be as it was less than 6 months old.

Reply to
Austin Shackles