Easy question about tyres

It's easy, but i don't know the answer!

Growler has Grabber ST tyres fitted. I know that AT is All Terrain, MT is Mud Terrain...but my question is what does ST stand for? are ST tyres any good for off-road use and what are they not suitable for?

Ta!

Reply to
Pacman

On or around Wed, 5 May 2004 21:25:21 +0100, "Pacman" enlightened us thusly:

well... I'd always assumed it means "Street Terrain", to fit in with the others. Such tyres are usually billed as 80% on-road.

but I'm open to other suggestions.

I suspect that someone came up with All-Terrain, and shortened it to AT, then they decided to hang a Terrain tag on the Mud tyres, and it spread from there.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

Andy , are these the closest thing to the 9.00 x 16's on my 101 ?

If not what would be the equivalent size which is more readily available than the 9.00's and without causing issues around fouling steering and springs?

Cheers,

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

So am I understanding that the 9.00 means the height of the profile so it's

9 plus 16 plus 9 inch again for the overall diameter?

If so does the 9 inch include the tread or is that in addition to the tyre diameter?

What would you recommend. I'm thinking long term availability and 50/50 on off road use. (Which is unlikely to be the case but I don't want to be stuck on road tread in the mud). Of course if there is a ready supply of 9.00's 16 inch then thats peachy but I understand they are getting thin on the ground... is this the same for road patterns too?

I have 2 Petlas but need another 2 to make a decent set then would need a spare as well.

The Bar grips I have are still going ok but don't inspire me much.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee,

I wouldn't rate the Petlas as much better than the bargrips for road use. They are pretty lousy, and I wouldn't want to go faster than

50-60mph for any length of time.

Nominally the 9x16 bargrip is 34 inch outside diameter, but there seems to be a big variation amongst different types. FWIW my unworn Petlas are just under 35 inch across, and substantially bigger than the worn bargrips that came off.

Also, the tread is only about 8" wide, but the carcass is nearly 10" - there is a substantial taper, which I don't quite understand the benefit of. A 255 tyre will be just over 10" wide, and I think most of that will be on the road.

Andy - how much are the 255/85 BFG in AT and MT patterns? And will they fit a standard 101 rim without tubes?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Will somebody please confiscate my plastic cards!!!

Must resist....must resist.....la la la la LA la la....

nice weather init.....

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

I can recommend the rims - have them on the Disco (but with Good Year rubber!)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 7 May 2004 01:35:55 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

75 notes? is that for tyre only, or tyre and rim?
Reply to
Austin Shackles

us

I have a set on the hybrid, and yes, £75 a tyre, £100 with white 8 spokes... I was the first to get a set in my club, and got them from Billing last year. Before I had a set of Bronco Diamond Backs, and found they were good too. SWMBO fortunately wasn't around when I bought them, she saw them when I got back to where we camping and just said "Wow, they look cool"

The vehicle gets used for trialling and laning, and these tyres seem to perform quite well. We found a big hole on one site and the Simex winch challenge boys in club (think £180 per tyre, plus Scorpion Extreme Suspension etc) were having great fun, and all others getting stuck. I pootled through on the Grizzly Claws, and since then, I have now been copied by 4 other club members...... SWMBO is trying to find some 16" suzuki rims so she can have them fitted to her SJ......

They are very interesting in the wet though, real seat of the pants stuff because there is not much of the actual tyre in contact with the road due the design......

Off road, when they bite, they dont half bite....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

just the tyre ... If the rim was included that would be just toooo much for me to resist.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D