eBay spoof

Hi all,

I've just received a really elegant but thoroughly nasty spoof email supposedly from eBay (it wasn't), entitled:

"You've received a question about eBay item: BRAND NEW GENUINE APPLE

*iPod touch* 16GB 16 GB WIFI (170227727186)"

Actually it's from a naughty mail relay, and the headers are (badly) spoofed, but, BECAUSE IT'S HTML it WILL FOOL PEOPLE into clicking on one of the links and ending up well-virused.

I only mention it because it was clever than the usual ones.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

how many of the populace are selling ipods on ebay? how many ebay sellers _don't_ read the the tediously frequent mails from ebay about spoofing? (did the mail predate the closing time of the auction:

11-Jun-08 01:11:32 BST?)

there is absolutely no excuse for anyone who gets done over by this phishing/virus/whatever scam.

Reply to
Robin Fairbairns

But people still do...look at the story below, not an eBay scam but a "boiler room" scam...

-- Paul

Reply to
Pacman

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk (Robin Fairbairns) contains these words:

Folk don't choose their IQ - neither their gullability.

Reply to
Rusty Hinge 2

Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Rusty Hinge 2 typed

The word 'gullability' has been banned under an EU directive. It must now be spelt gullibility in all published documents.

Reply to
Wicked Uncle Nigel

It's not been banned, it means they catch enough fish not to go hungry.

Oily

It must

Reply to
Oily

Not here on the Sussex campus. The word 'gullability' is particularly apt for the gulls that nest on the roofs here, and their ability to crap on passers-by walking below. I narrowly missed a pasting the other day. Felt it go past my ear and it *just* missed my shoulder and splatted on the ground just behind me.

Reply to
A.Clews

In article , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk writes

In my youth, Burnham-on-Sea had a couple of fish+chip shops on the High St. (parallel to the sea front).

The locals, when exiting, knew not to look up, and to use haste. There were, however, often casualties amongst the tourists.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

If you eat fish'n'chips on the Brighton seafront, chances are the local gulls will 'ave 'em off ya. I also recently saw a student robbed of a slice of pizza in a beautifully executed raid from behind by a marauding gull, here on campus. The shock on the student's face was a sight to behold.

Reply to
A.Clews

When staying in a dire hotel in Folkstone I was on the 2nd floor so was puzzled to hear an insistent knocking at the *window*, when I checked it, there was a gull starting at me, banging away on the glass. I opened the window to shoo it away but it just stood there and then tried to come in. After trying to shoo it away again I closed the window and put up with it banging on the glass. When I went through to the bathroom it hopped onto the bathroom window sill and banged on that window instead. I half expected it to either pull a flick-knife and demand my wallet or try to sell me some lucky heather. It must have been banging away at the window for about half an hour before giving up. Persistent little buggers.

I wonder how long it will be before they get discarded paper clips and learn to pick locks!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings