I've gone all Dervy.

Just shelled a couple of quid to give this a go. The basic free version does G sensor/GPS based speed/G display.

The paid for version allows more accurate calibration for the device, route plotting as a .kml file, graphing and roughly works as a pocket dyno saving the file as an XLS.

There are are version for the HTC Touch HD/Pro/Diamond and the Samsung Omnia.

At last you don't need a G-Tech or an iPhone/iPod with Dynolicious or pocket dyno on.

Reply to
Elder

Cheap! That looks very similar to what Tim Kemp's buddy uses.

And lets be fair, avoiding carrying around an iPod is a good thing, right?

Currently I keep on musing at this:

Kinda because I have a ScanGauge II space on the dashboard... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

I have a phone with a decent music player and 16gig of space. I nolonger=20 need and iPhone. The only use I have found is an iPhone PAYG sim in an=20 locked 3g dongle and an upgrade to the generic software.

1year unlimited (fair use) mobile broadband for 1 =A310 topup. After a=20 year bin the sim buy another for =A32. =20

It suits you sir.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

A space where Sid currently sits with his broken pixels?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Heh, my SID was missing 2 or 3 pixels, so I "fixed it"....

Luckily another came up on ebay for a tenner ;)

There's some delicate[1] bits in there.

[1] Too delicate for me anyroad.
Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

My mother's 9-5 has El Sid, but despite the dead pixels apparently appearing in an 'They all do that, sir' fashion on thusly equipped Saabs, hers seems to be fine at 7 years old.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Not on the newer 9-3; Saab finally fixed their SID issues.

My original 9-3 had one dead line, but it was only dead when it felt like it.

Reply to
DervMan

Had a play today, wasn't fully calibrated then, is now. Drove to Tesco for fuel, then on into car park for some shopping.

Now have an XLS that I need to work on to understand and a .kml file that when imported into google earth plots exactly the route I took including the little squiggle through the petrol station.

Next thing is to have a look at how it mocks up as a dyno.

Reply to
Elder

Hmm... Elvington quarter mile drag strip time..?

I bet we can encourage Tim Kemp to take his diesel up the slope too...

Reply to
DervMan

Heh, I wouldn't mind a go with that on my Touch Diamond, but I'm too tight to pay for the licence, for the couple of goes I'd have before putting it away ;)

Reply to
Abo

Hang on, are you saying I can get an O2 PAYG SIM, somehow register it as an iPhone, stick it in my O2 3G dongle and off I go?

Where can I get said SIM card?

Reply to
Abo

NM I sussed it, I've just ordered a iPhone SIM off eBay...

Reply to
Abo

Yup, soemwhere between =A31 and =A33 for the sim. Add =A310 credit (use it for SMS from the laptop if you want). You get a years free web/wifi bolt on as an "iphone" PAYG user.

After the year, pay =A310 a month for the bolt on or cancel the sim and=20 get another.

It could end up getting cancelled as the T&C for the sim is for use in=20 an iPhone but enough people seem to get away with it. Just topup online=20 at O2 website.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

There are two apps on xda-developers. one is called gmeter or GPC (that I bought). The other one is free and looks more basic but seems to do more on screen. I think it is called Gforce.

Reply to
Elder

Yeah I saw that; TBH if I get a couple of months out of it before they realise then I won't be bothered, I'd just get another SIM and use the £10 on texts or calls...

I'm guessing O2 don't ask you to enter an iPhone IMEI when you register the SIM?

Reply to
Abo

From what I've read, if you stick in an iPhone and activate the sim=20 through itunes and put =A310 on it works.

Or if you topup online it also activates it. I just used the PAYG online=20 top up and all that asked for was the phone number assigned to the sim.=20 Even if it costs =A310 a month it is still cheap for unlimited.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Found that Gforce. The G meter part works as expected but it only works in kph (despite having an mph option) and it crashes when you activate the GPS. It's beta I think, though...

Reply to
Abo

Then it's not measuring g. It doesn't need to measure G since that is a constant 6.674 x 10^-11 N(m/kg)^2

Reply to
Steve Firth

But km/h/h are perfectly valid units for expressing g..

Reply to
albert_t_cone

But not km/h

Reply to