Engine fitting

Not much of a mechanic, so no idea what's possible - maybe someone here can help?

I've killed two 2.5TD engines in my 90 now, and they're getting expensive. I have a 2.25 NAD available, but not sure what out of - a series vehicle is as much as I know.

What are the chances of it fitting, and how will it be in a 90?

Any tips, hints, suggestions or fitting offers considered :o)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

It'll fit, but be horribley gutless. It's only about 50bhp from a 2.25 Diesel.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Yes but if it's anything like my old series IIA the 2.25 will run trouble-free for about 18 years, whereas the 2.5 turbo engine I replaced it with lasts about 1,000 miles before blowing another head gasket for no obvious reason.

David

Reply to
David

V8.

Reply to
SimonJ

Took the words, ere, letter and number, out of my mouth!!!

Reply to
Tim Guy

First of all, if you have 'killed" two 2.5Td's, how dead are they

I've been looking for a cheap 2.5Td to recon and put in my 109 fo AGES, if you have one that I could salvage.........

Other wise, where to begin

Right, well the 2.5 was based on the 2.25, and in fact the last of th

line five main bearing 2.25's share the same block and head castings

Effectively they should be bolt for bolt interchangeable. I think yo

may need to check the position of the location dowels on th bellhousing to engine mating faces, I think that there's an extra on on the 2.5 block, so basically you may have one empty hole

Other wise it should all be pretty straight forward

Only things that might catch you out are things like the fact that th

2.5Td has a servo shut off that works electrically from the ignitio switch, where the old S3's had a choke cable 'pull to stop' - tha means you may have to put a cable stop in

You'll probably also need to get an early 90 NAD down pipe for th

exhaust to replace the turbo and waste gate, and really that should b about it

Performance wise, well it is going to be a LOT less 'eager'

2.5Td makes about 90bhp

2.5NAD makes about 70bh

2.25d makes about 60bhp

But, early 90's has the 2.25 motor, so it is not a hugely retrograd

step

Expect top speed to be down to about 70mph though, and it to not b

so keen on hills, other wise it should work OK

Last thing though, why are you killing the 2.5Td's

I know that they had some weaknesses, but biggest reason for sel

destruction is user abuse or neglect

If you dont find out what the cause is, in all probability you coul

end up killing whatever replacement you put in there

-- Teflo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Teflon's Profile:

this thread:

Teflon

Hello Andy. I have 2.25d in my landy90 this had replaced the 2.25 petrol. The previous owner must have had economy bug. On the motorway I average about 48 to 53ish mpg uphill, that's with a good curry. As to fitting one in, I understand their are special kits available. For mileage it works out as quarter tank every 80 miles for mine. It can be a nippy bugger sometimes when wants to be. The only major thing I have had done was the cylinder head gasket. Hope this helps.

Reply to
John Oakes

Hmmm, first one was definately DOA - conrod through block :o/ The current one I'm not sure of - it refused to start, thenwhen it did went 'bang' (I said I wasn't a mechanic!) It was still running after the bang, but not very well. I turned it off and haven't tried again.

I like the sound of this! My main concern was mountings and gearbox fitting stuff, but it sounds like there should be no major problems.

The latest TD managed a top speed of 70mph, so I don't think the loss in speed will be too severe, and I tend to stick to 60 most of the time anyway; keeps my license clean!

The original motor had done almost 130k, and I hear that's about it fot TDs. I got it with 127k on the clock, so no idea of care or otherwise. The latest was very tired, and I got it for £100 and had it fitted almost as it was, so I think it was on it's last legs. If you're nearby feel free to come see it - I don't have any plans for it!

I hope not! I do check water/oil regularly, I just think I've been unlucky. That's why I want a bombproof engine in there. A Tdi would be fantastic, but waaay to expensive, and I think a V8 would take too much bother to fit (unless someone has one they don't need, and the time to put it in for me?? ;o)

Thanks for the answers.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mott

Reply to
the ickys

I quite like the 2.5 Petrol, if you can find one. They're harder to tune well. but give plenty of power and around 20mpg. Bellhousing / mounts wise a straight swap. Only a couple of bits of wiring to do really and a few changes to the fuel system (get rid of return fuel line and change a few ignition connections). Vey bomb proof engine.

All the best

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

I don't know how, my IIa 109" (petrol) is driving me up the wall when I have to cruise along the m/way at 55-60mph. I can't wait to get my project SWB up and running, with a recon 2.25 and o/d. And then I shall start work on the 3.0 injection-into-SWB project.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:53:38 +0100, "Andy Warner" enlightened us thusly:

there's probably a 2.5 petrol in decent nick to be had from Paul Hannaford down in N-C-Emlyn. I traded one with him for summat I wanted, when I had it in the 110 it was plagued with a silly running fault I couldn't trace, later discovered that this was a fault in the gas mixer, so nothing to do with the engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles