Oh the Defender - a Brake problem

Hi all,

Well decided to fit new my new Stainless steel hoses today - did first one (Drivers side) and decided to do the pads at the same time. Guess what - couldn't get the pistons to go back on the caliper on one side. So after 2 hours of trying I have ordered a new Caliper. Do they normally sieze? Is there a way of unsiezing them?

Is it as easy as the manual says to remove the caliper? Any hints or tips for fitting - refitting?

Yours

Andy

Defender 110 CSW 2.5TDI

1991 12 seater
Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Yes it's easy, but pray your bolt doesn't snap leaving any in the mount. I had lots of fun with this but I'm led to believe I was very very unlucky.

I was going to suggest pipe clamps but as your swapping the pipes anyway then it'll be of no use. What may help is removing the fluid cap, place a carrier bag over the hole, reapply fluid cap. Stops or at least slows the seapeage of brake fluid out of the master cylinder when you remove your lines for replacement. I also tend to bleed the caliper through the pipe unions on first application to get most air out the do the nipples last. i.e. pipe slack, pedal down, tighten unions once fluid emerges. Don't forget to take the carrier bag off.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yes, it's normal for half of them to be seized on a vehicle of your age. To unseize them you get them out by fair means or foul then put in new pistons and seals - once the chrome plating goes you have problems.

It's probably a splined head on the bolt that holds them on yours, clean the head as much as possible and use a 12 point socket to remove, one that fits really closely, 1/2" or 13mm. They're on pretty tight and you really don't want to round the head on it. Use locktite when you put the bolts back in, and if they're not in good condition then don't think twice about getting new ones, they're pretty high tensile but not that expensive from LR dealers.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Oh well tried my hardest to get the caliper off and couldn't. So in the end I took the discs, calipers and pads to my local land Rover Dealer - asked if I could watch while he did one side and then I persuaded him to do the other.

The seals had gone and I was glad they were being replaced.

So now one happy Land Rover with new brakes.

I was panicing about the bill - total cost for 2 and a half hours work - £25.

Now just got to fit the other two hoses - surely that should be a doddle!!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Poor bloody mechanic. My life is worth about 25 quid a minute if the customer is leaning over my shoulder watching my every move and driving me ever closer to sudden, severe SOH failure.

Reply to
EMB

I know - but this guy was a good mechanic :))))

Andrew Renshaw