Faraday cages

True if that were the case, but what about starting your journey from there, or coming from a junction where both roads intersect? Or the signal being lost and then re-acquired in a incorrect position after an outage some considerable time later?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

... and we all know the answer to that - ignore the possibility and fleece the motorist yet again.

Reply to
Dougal

Jeff, forget it, it's a non-issue, they'll just use the same methods that the manufacturers of road navigation gear have been using for ages. Just because we can't regurgitate them here in a landrover newsgroup doesn't mean that it's not possible, if it wasn't possible then road navigation systems wouldn't be as useful as they are.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Tim Hobbs

.Snipped a bit....Tim, Sorry had to laugh at this one. SSOH Now that's interesting, a keyless car that scorches your arse, then gives you one, then trys to get home denying it all ever happened

18 seconds for a jump is nearly as quick as me, and while it was wobbly as well. Did it hurt? d;-))))) LOVL Dave
Reply to
Dave Piggin

The point I'm making here is, a car isn't a faraday cage, transmitting or receiving signals is perfectly plausable. Naaah I couldn't accept Darlings theories would work in any manner he has given. He needs to go back to school and take his think tank with him. Makes you wonder is it all scare tactics for some given reason?? May be to have people like our selves think for them; as we are doing here. Are you lurking on this NG Mr Darling?

Reply to
Dave Piggin

Voters thinking for themselves? That's not very New Labour is it?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

How the hell can a reciever jam a gps signal? Now a transmitter yes, granted.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Oh well back to the spray on mud then :)

Or Klingon cloaking technology.

Reply to
Larry

Yes, my Garmin ETrex mounted in the landy put my peak speed at over

3,000 MPH on one trip, I know I've fitted a Fearns intercooler but I doubt the accuracy on that one I'm afraid!
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

A receiver can generate frequencies of its own due to the process of demodulating the signal, e.g. mixing the incoming frequency down to a constant lower frequency before amplification and demodulation. This can cause radio interference, and is how TV detector vans are able to find a telly and tell you what channel it's on.

Normally it's not a problem but for very weak signals such as satellite signals it could cause a problem. I've not noticed it yet but I've not looked.

The line between transmitter and receiver is entirely arbitrary ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Would make parking in the multi-storey interesting! Not to mention getting back to the car again..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The system knows which road you are on, suddenly it's told you are on another road for a few seconds, or more likely, some random swapping between the two. By monitoring the last x transimissions it will be possible to be very (>99% I say) certain which road you really are on.

Error correction in comms can detect and correct 99.95% of errors, and I can see that tracking could be even better, since the next position has a finite number of possibilities that make any sense at all.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

That I knew about but I didn't think it'd be enough to interfere with a GPS signal, mostly due to the huge difference in frequency.

I sit corrected.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Exactly..... I have a scanner that when tuned to a particular frequency will jam a GPS at up to about 30' !!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yes this is the problem... a 95% success rate for a navigation system is perfectly adequate, but 5% of people being mis-charged is a recipe for civil unrest!!!!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

.....at the wavelengths of interest. Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor