216 Minor problem while Cornering

I have just got a `94 216SLI which I am very happy with but I have one (I hope) very minor problem in that when I corner at anything more than a crawl there is a rattling that seems to come from the front drivers side. The car displays no obvious problems with accelerating, braking, cornering or handling in general.

The car has only just come through a MOT unscathed.

Strangely enough I had a Peugeot 405 with exactly the same problem and despite having it looked at while in the service they never did find out what the problem was, never affected the driving though.

- e-mail to aoxr19[AT]dsl[DOT]pipex[DOT]com

*All e-mail to "reply to" adrress will* *automatically be deleted* - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--

Reply to
Luke Curtis

A common problem with front wheel drives cars is the constant velocity joints. A faulty joint will make a rhythmatic knocking noise, usually when cornering. It is only rarely these will be picked up on at a MOT. Check for a damaged gaiter, although these should be spotted at a MOT. If they split, the grease gets washed away and the bearings soon become damaged.

Reply to
malc

Front wheel drive cars have this weird device in the front end, shortly after the final drive, called a CONSTANT VELOCITY joint (CV Joint). These are made up of an arangement of ball bearings, and specially developed sockets that let the joint SPIN, and move much like your wrist as well, incredible to see one in operation. However, they do have their complications. If the bearings or housings her "out of round" as it were, the entire joint starts making a very loud, nerve wracking rattle in any other direction than straight ahead. Panic not! The joint *will* stay together at low speeds. It'll shake your back teeth out before letting go. It's a terrifically good idea to get that changed as quick as you can though, cause the rattle alone can make you a clock-tower sniper inside a week...

Also good to note here, that if ONE CV Joint is ill, you can pretty much lay money on the other being not that far away from it... Might pay to replace them both left and right while the front of the car is up in the air.

Reply to
Andy George

Ok Andy we have two Rovers 1 a "C" reg 216 VP the other a 414 sli both failed the MOT due to the CV BOOT !! I have just bought a 414 SI today with a full MOT which had originally failed due to its CV BOOT. What is a C V BOOT and is this failing a common fault with Rovers?. Ron .

Reply to
flighttracker

On 22/07/2004 20:27:27, in alt.autos.rover, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk licked his pencil and scribbled in message

CV boots are rubber sleeves or gaiters that protect the cv joints. If these split crud can get in and destroy the cv joint. Catastrophic failure of the cv joint is a serious safety issue! Hence MOT failures for this are common. As to Rovers being prone to boot failures, no more than any other make in my experience.

Reply to
M Pitt

Thanks for the info what is under the paintwork is a complete mystery to me checking oil and water is about the limit of my knowledge regarding cars .

This surprises me hadn't even heard of a CV BOOT before submitting our first Rover for testing back in April . Previous to them going out of favor in this country we always have had the good old Lada Riva's and afterwards until last year at this time Fords and never once had the CV BOOT come up regarding the MOT hence my remarks concerning Rovers . Ron .

Reply to
flighttracker