Fog Lights - installation

Greetings One and All

Been pondering the installation of a pair of fog lights on the front of the 110.

Seems to me that lower is better so someplace under the front bumper would seem optimal - except of course that they would be somewhat exposed to the lumps and bumps off road.

Has anyone fabricated a QD lamp bar for sale/supply ? Where do others mount (oooh!) their fog lamps?

Switching ....

I was thinking of replacing the existing (fog lamp) switch on the steering column with a two-position switch (like the standard driving light switch) wired so rear fog comes on at p#1 and front also illumitates at p#2 - any thoughts?

Thank you for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

Why would you want a two position switch - just take a relay from the existing one. If it's bad enough to need fog lamps then you need them front and back, if not, well you won't. Or if you're wanting them for off-road use as well then I'd wire them seperately from the other lights altogether.

Regarding position, well as you say under the bumper is a bad idea, if they don't get knocked off the first muddy bank you plough into then you hit yourself with them every time you go under the thing. I've seen some really nice lights built into the bumper, again depends on how much time/money you are willing to throw at it, but it will offer slightly more protection than mounting them under it.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Stick em on top of the bumper but just focus them so the beam cuts off properly.

I wouldn't put them underneath far to vulnerable and a bit pointless for an off roader.

Don't know anything about the switch arrangement on a 110 but I would just wire up a completely seperate circuit and switch.

Reply to
Larry

ok - I can see the logic of that. Was taking a cue from manufactured road cars which IME have mostly been fitted with a two stage switch which illuminates, rear first, then both.

aha - yes, of course. No need for extra lighting at the rear in that situation.

yes - thatd would be the problem.

'into' sounds interesting - now I wonder where I can find lamp units that can be surface mounted. Clues anyone?

yes - the only sensible way to mount them beneath is to fabricate/purchase a QD [quickly detachable] lighting bar.

Reply to
William Tasso

ha scritto nel messaggio

Assuming one is driving alone in the dark, you are correct.

But if you are driving in a queue or so, you might want to have front fog lights on, and back fog lights (most annoying) off.

ciao

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.

On or around Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:51:18 -0000, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

pick smallish rectangular foglamps, and cut a window in the front face of the bumper, then fit the lamp inside the bumper.

The reason for mounting them low down is that they work better, BTW. gets the light source further down in relation to your eye height, which makes less glare. That and the short, wide beam.

as to supplying current... you could use a changeover relay in the dipped head feed, triggered from the foglamp switch. That way you can have dipped heads or fogs, but not both, therefore you avoid looking like a twonk. Also, if you *need* front fogs, then dipped heads are a menace, and if you can still see OK with the dipped heads, then you don't need fogs.

On the car, which has front fogs (when I was using it) I think I only used 'em in anger about twice. Mostly I used to flash them at twonks driving in clear weather with front fogs on as well as dips...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If I were going to do this, I'd probably go for two sets of the micro fog lamps at the bottom of that page. Fifty quid for four lamps, an hour or two to trim the bumper and paint it, wire them up to a couple of relays and you're all set to light up the night :-)

(might want to check your alternator output depending on what extra stuff you have in your LR)

I'm not in favour of these things as I can always imagine the one time you leave it on someone else will notice it's quickly detachable. Maybe that's just me though.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie