Discovery - a voyage of ...

Greetings one and all

Vehicle : Discovery V8i ES - Nov 94 (95M/Y)

Hocus pocus surrounding the braking - see earlier thread - has been laid to rest. Until further evidence rears its ugly head I'm gonna put it down to the vehicle having been standing for months (based on notes in HBOL).

First impressions of a new owner: Overall I'm quite pleased with the Discovery - it's a wildly different animal to the 110 - although I'm none too keen on the front 'spoiler' what's that for? is it standard? - and the electrickery gremlins have definately taken up residence. Several fuses went at more or less the same time - do they 'go off' if not used for a while? I don't think so. Then there's a fuse that the book says controls the n/s side lights - well they work without it - replaced it anyway but no idea if that's a good thing (tm). Wiring loom around the fuses appears to have escaped the attentions of over-enthusiastic amateurs.

Been working my way round the vehicle - the gremlins can't have many places left to hide. Don't want to scare them off while it's in the drive though - they might jump over to the 110.

Wheels are fitted with locking wheel nuts - could do with a supplier of the unlocking gizmo and clues on how to identify which one to ask for.

Rear electric windows stubbonly refuse to work - fuse ok. I suspect there's a control box someplace - f/f clues welcome.

Anyone breaking a similar vehicle? Would be good to source ...

o All the parts for the tailgate lock - has been 'repaired' by a monkey with only two left handed hammers and a roll of sticky plasters.

o O/S electric mirror assembly.

o Front seats in beige leather - if the cost is right it would save me a repair / reupholstery job.

o Engine oil filler cap - ours is cracked.

Finally - although I now have the relevant HBOL - I think a workshop manual and exploded parts diagrams would be helpful. I know there's loads on eb*y - anyone with experience of a reliable source for such things?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
William Tasso

That's an easy one - as you suspect there is a control box. It is hidden behind the glove box. Take it out - one of the solder joints on the board is prone to failure - re-solder the joint and replace the unit - all will be ok! There is an article on it somewhere on the Internet, but can't remember exactly where now. Discoweb? I think?! If I remember correctly the control box can be a bit of a bugger to get out unless you have the right technique - at which point it comes out easily!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Drop me an email Will and I'll hunt out the links for the Disco manuals ( hope you have broadband its a big file) btw if you get offered an EPC the exploded component diagrams are rather better than those in Rave or the workshop manual. Land rover electrics are a wonderful thing I've been sorting out the central locking the passenger door and tail gate were not working so I tried replacing the drivers side ( actuator ) which controls them nope turns out both slaves were cooked but the passenger still would not not lock consistantly (Maplins supplied kit exactly right size although actuator is different) I gave up after 2 hours put the door back together and locked the drivers door buggerme the passenger door locked too? Derek

(btw if anyone wants a deal for a two door C/L kit I got one!- we were discussing it a few weeks back )

Reply to
Derek

Thanks - it would never have occured to me to put the rear window control box there - what were they thinking of?

sounds too much like magic :)

Not that I can see/find - but then again the mighty goog is showing her age these days.

All those years as a trainee gynaecologist won't be wasted then.

Reply to
William Tasso

YGM - assuming I de-munged correctly.

Those disco gremlins get everywhere.

ok - I've had some thoughts on this stuff.

Not too long ago I was presented with a dead server and the following comprehensive fault report: it's broken.

and this brief: make it work.

Skipping past all the broken things that were quite trivial to fix the last remaining job was fixing the time keeping. It would revert to default (manufactured) date/time whenever power recycled. A new battery seemed in order - yes, we'd tried the jumper to reset CMOS. We don't keep m/b batteries in stock so I had to source a replacement - the P+P/courier cost more than the battery. Made no difference. As a final desperate act I lifted the bios chip from its seat, looked ok, replaced it and bingo - all working fine.

Point is, I couldn't see any corrosion on those contacts but the simple act of taking it apart and putting it back together was enough to 'clean' the contact points.

I have no other explanation aside from releasing trapped gremlins :)

Reply to
William Tasso

Found it...

Click 'tech' at the top and it is one of the articles down the left hand side. Plenty of other good stuff in there as well.

Now I see the article, I think I remember why I had problems. You either just take the board out, or you take the casing out with the board still inside - I can't remember which now - but one of them is a b*d to get out, the other is easy(er)!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock