Series III to Discovery?

Hi, I have had two sereis III's, but I am now thinking of getting a Discovery. But I am not sure, how the discovery handles off road. The only other Landy owners I know have Series II, III and a Freelander (and the Freelander never goes off road, ever, lol, why by a land rover? :) ) I don't think if I went to see one that the person selling it would let me take it accross a ploughed field, though rivers, etc to test it, especalliy if they cleaned it all up to sell it and of course with a Discovery they might be the kind of Land Rover owner who only uses it to take the kids to school and the closest thing it gets to "off road" it a supermarket car park.

The Discovery to me looks like it has a lower ground clearance? Dose it?

Would it be able to do everything the Series III could off road?

What are they like in general?

Are they relaiable, compared to a SIII?

What should I look out for on them, when going to see one?

It would very much be a secound car, not a daily driver.

Thanks

Reply to
8unker

The discovery has the following problems offroad in comparison with an SIII SWB on 750s:

Greater overhangs, especially at the rear.

Less ground clearence.

Crappy front spoiler to get in the way of things.

Long sticky out rear towbar

It won't be able to do as much as an SIII as a result of these, but will have marginally improved axle articulation and a much better ride!! With the spoiler and towbar removed they're quite acceptable.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

And lets face it, an accident off-road in a Series isn't nearly as serious as the damage a Disco would suffer in the same situation.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:38:41 +0100, "Andy Warner" enlightened us thusly:

however, compared with a SIII on 6.00s or 205s, it's somewhat similar.

tyre size, of course, affects mostly the axle and diff clearance, although it does of course lift the chassis slightly.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi,

I have a Disco and a Series 3. I take the Disco off road regularly and last week I took the Series 3 on the beach. The Disco has Scorpion all terrains and the series 3 some very aggressive cross ply tyres.

Anyway I was stunningly impressed with the Series 3 on sand, it handled like it was on the road and was far superior to my beloved Disco. Ride comfort off road was a little harsher but I felt the Series 3 coped better in dry and wet sand.

The overhang for the rear to bar on The Disco is a problem and expect to ground it occassionally and even repair the towing bracket once in a while, I would also fit a Diff guard to the front at least - it gets clonked easily by rocks. I have bought one but sadly not fitted it yet.

Andrew

Disco 2.5 TDI 7 seater 1993 (Sarah) Series 3 2.25 Petrol 1983 (Sally)

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:45:12 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

Mind, I wasn't over-impressed with scorpion ATs as off-road tyres. They're OK, but nothing special. Brilliant on wet tarmac, mind.

currently my disco is on scorp STs, which sister's BF rates on his RRClassic. Not tried anything much in the way of off-road with 'em yet, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sand ?? Sand !!!! not exactly Ice Cold in Alex is it.

Drove my 2WD granny estate on sand, no worries at Weston Super Mare

I recall time gone by, and it might still be there for all I know, an Ice Cream Wagon that used to ply the beaches at Whitby a Land Rover of course, probably a piccy of it on the internet somewhere.

Reply to
Larry

Great film!!

Isn't there meant to be a Landie in it too. At some point when they are in Alex there is supposed to be a Landy parked in the street in the background, only Landies were'nt around then...

Has anyone else heard this?

Reply to
Simon Barr

I have herd there is a landie in it somewhere, but definatly not converted into an ice cream wagon :)

Reply to
Larry

Please join the other film authenticity/continuity geeks on numerous groups who point out things like Henry VIII wearing a watch, Cromwell walking past a 'break glass' type fire alarm point and a mobile phone mast in Robin Hood... ;-)

Reply to
Mother