Locked rear door on Sentra

I cannot get the rear door on my 1997 Sentra to open (either form the inside or out). Since the door is closed I cannot get the panel off. When you try the power door lock switch you hear a whirling noise, but nothing happens. Can anybody suggest a solution? Who fixes these type of problems?

Reply to
nccft

Sounds to me like you have a seized lock actuator or rusty lock hardware. Does this car have something that goes up and down to unlock the door? Or is it one of those little things that turns in and out (like most Japanese cars)?

If it has one of those little buttons, you can take the handle assembly apart (usually a phillips screw holds the trim in) and spray some WD40 into the door... Wait a few minutes and then try unlocking it.

If it has an up and down type thing, if you can unscrew the trim, go for it. If you can't, I don't know what to say. As for who fixes these things, look for an auto electric shop that says they repair power door locks.

Reply to
Walter

Sounds like the door is just locked. Take it to a locksmith & let them unlock/open the door for you. From there you can continue with the diy repair OR let them fix it. Shouldn't be much cost if they merely unlock the door, like by using a *slim-jim* (which I'd do myself-- your option-- knowing that I may pull loose some linkage I'd later have to re-attach). s

Reply to
sdlomi2

You may end up destroying the door panel to gain access to the locking mechanism.

Professor

nccft wrote:

Reply to
Professor

Additional information:

I should have mentioned that the problem started when I changed the setting on "Child Lock" setting on the rear door. Original setting was in the child lock position (the door would only open from the outside)--when I changed it to open "normally" that's when it would not open at all.

Thanks for all the replies!

Reply to
nccft

I had a problem like that with a Fiat Brava once. I managed to get the bench seat out the other side and was able to remove the door panel and open the damn thing. It was also related to the child safety lock.

Reply to
<HLS