front hubs,,,,

Hiya all,

'93 Defender 90 200TDi

Took the two bolts out of the top of the front hubs to get the brake pipe bracket off so I could shift the brake caliper so I could swap the discs. The thing went a bit slack and oil came out of the swivel seal 'till I put the bolts back in again and tightened it all up.

So, where do I put the oil back in and how much?

Ta for any help as usual.

m1

Oh dear. On the hub there's a bottom & a top bolt that looks like it does nothing. Undoe the top one & put some one shot grease from Land Rover, don't bother with oil, make sure yoiu got all the old oil out first.

I'm not sure what you undid though?

Reply to
Nige

Are you always this quick?? S'pose I could undo the same two top bolts again and just let it finish draining out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanx for that Nige

m1

The bolts on the top that hold the brake pipe braket on also hold the top swivel bearing on.

When you slacken these off, the housing falls slightly which makes the seal, well not seal, and the oil comes out.

On the front of the swivel housing there are two square bits, one large at teh top (14mm?) and one small at the bottom (8mm?) Bottom one is to drain, top one to fill.

get some one shot from landrover, and pour in in though the top one -

TIP - put the steering on full lock so you get access to it easier, it also lets you pour oil 'in' rather than the chrome ball getting in the way :)

Oddly, ive got a picture already uploaded...

Fill hole is level with 58 ish, and litle one level with 61ish

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Eh? Have you been sniffing the developer again Mark? ;0)

Otherwise I concur :o)

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:57:40 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

swivel bearing on.

well not seal, and the

YSTHM "seal", I've rarely seen one that really does.

top (14mm?) and one

lets you pour oil 'in'

nother tip, get a bucket of hot water and put the one-shot containers in it before you start, the warmer they are, the easier it is to get in.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

but,,, but,,, but,,, if I don't put oil in it won't leak then it won't be a proper Land Rover,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanx for all your help here, fixed and driving again at last!! (well, it got us to the pub and back)

m1