fuel tank recall

Just had the petrol tank replaced in our 95 V8 under the recall scheme. While it was being done they lent us a brand new (well 1700 miles) Discovery

3 TDV6 S. Although it looks awful from certain angles it was superb to drive - would rather have the V8 though (in my dreams!) Richard
Reply to
Richard

In message , Richard writes

Yes they are great to drive.

This recall is a superb/cheap way of getting drivers of older cars into the show room and driving the new models.

Am I being too cynical ?

Reply to
Marc Draper

Nope, you are not being cynical as we said the same thing to the guy in the showroom. Are we being too cynical ;-)

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In message , Richard writes

When the latest incarnation on the freelander came out they did the same and recalled all the old freelanders. As a result the sold loads of new ones

Reply to
Marc Draper

You'd only be thought of as being really cynical if they'd offered you a Range Rover Sport...

Reply to
Mother

.. which appears to be a Discovery 3 in drag.

Personally I think the Disco 3 has somewhat overshadowed the new Range Rover, although neither would feature on my if-I-was-a-millionaire buying list.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed, I am happy with what I have ;)

Not impressed they want to CHARGE me to fix my tank tho ... and on a '97 too! (too much armour!)

Reply to
Neffalump

If I was a millionaire I would have one of each, (including Aston Martin, Hummer etc ..not being greedy but......

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In message , Neffalump writes

Do they? Was under the impression that as a recall it was free !

Reply to
Marc Draper

Guy Salmon (wankers) of Sheffield refused to do mine on the grounds it had an LPG conversion - they said it was not safe, a Health and Safety danger and we could basically go f*ck ourselves - this was without even having sight of the vehicle... (bastards).

Gordon Lamb - Chesterfield didn't have any problems and offered us a new Rangie (there goes that cynical bit of me) if we needed it whilst the work was done. We like Gordon Lamb, we think Guy Salmon will never get any repeat business from us so long as there's a hole in my arse... I'd soon buy a Jeep than have to deal with the stuck-up fuckwits there ever again, wankers.

Reply to
Mother

One of the first cars I'd get is a Gibbs Aquada, lovely cars... sports car that converts to a speedboat in 15 seconds and does 30MPH on the water! Just drive it into the water, hit a button, and roar off...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:44:21 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

now that I would fancy, yeah. Mostly, I'd be inclined to have old ones to play with, though, and build various incarnations of vehicles that I can't afford to do now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I don't think I'd ever tire of doing that in Mercedes dealers. They really do think it's a huge honour to own a Stuttgart taxi.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I'd just have my 110 re-sprayed.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

And on that note - WTF do all major cities in your-rope have nice, clean new Mercs as Taxis and we get lumped with rattly, dirty, smelly black bastards clogging up the streets and creating clouds of pollution?

Simple - Merc refuse to do the same deal in the UK...

Last time going from Schiphol into Amsterdam the driver of a three day old Merc was showing me all the gizmos which get thrown in as standard as it's good advertising for Executives to see them in the Taxi on the way to RAI - satnav "watch this" he said, changing the language option to English, "Where in England do you live?" he asked, I told him, he immediately plotted the route and gave me an estimate on how much it'd cost for him to drive me home (I'd only just arrived - bastard).

Not that it matters here in Sheffield anyway as we have the G8 nobs here today and nobody is going anywhere - streets shut off, lots (and I mean LOTS) of new blacked out Rangies sitting heavy on their springs, more police than you could imagine being employed in the entire North of England...

Reply to
Mother

Richard Branson hopped into a Gibbs Aquada and zipped across the channel in it to set the fastest channel crossing time in an amphibious vehicle. Nice if you can get it!

There's an entire website devoted to amphibious vehicles, from amphicars to a barge with 8 foot tall wheels and a driver and engine for each wheel, I can't find the URL right now but it's a great site. Something about amphibious vehicles just gets to me.

There was even a Lamborghini Countach copy that was amphibious, it really looked the part. The Gibbs looks like a Mazda MX5 or Lotus Elan which is OK, but it certainly doesn't look like an amphibious car apart from directly head-on where the prow and planing lines give it away.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Austin,

I turn up with my sick heavy metal t-shirt, long hair down, oily jeans :-) I get ignored, to the extent that I can lie underneath vehicles in the showroom, sit in them, pretend to want to own them etc etc, and they STILL ignore me.

Then I wander round, order a few bits for the Discovery, poke fun at the D3 etc, then enquire about servicing the "runabout". The looks you get when they realise the "runabout" is over £60k's worth of Range Rover are classic, especially when I've stuck stickers all over it :-)

Suddenly they bow, scrape and fawn .....

Two faced GITS.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Marc,

It's only free if you have not modified it. I rang LR and complained bitterly. I have non-warranty parts fitted OUTSIDE my warranty, it's not my fault they want to do a warranty recall on my car!!!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Mine has LPG fitted with twin underneath tanks and they did mine free. Does that not class it as modified. They even rang me today to see if i was happy with their service - which I was. They even washed it and vacuumed it inside!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:03:30 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

do what I did, put a coloured stripe down the side. Mine's done with red insulating tape.

Reply to
Austin Shackles