fuel tank recall

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:11:33 +0100, MVP enlightened us thusly:

yeah, nice thing, but I don't think I'd actually buy one. I'd prefer something nice, vintage and not a 4½ bentley or a silver ghost. I'd then kit out a suitable workshop to make spares for it, and probably end up making spares for other people. Still, it'd beat working for a living.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:48:21 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

I suspect you could create havoc over that - unless, of course, you've made it take about 3 days to get at the petrol tank. If this is supposed to be a safety recall (and it must be, or they'd not be recalling 10-y-o vehicles and modding 'em for free) then they can ill afford negative publicity of the kind that reads "LR wouldn't do this saftey mod on my vehicle".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:21:13 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

how about one of these?

best looked at in IE. The text comes out crappy in moz, can't quite see why, and I've yet to find a tuit to tell 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello, Austin!

To get to my tank they need to remove the 4 branch exhaust, the rear bumper, the tank guard.... and they are complaining.

Reply to
Neffalump

Yeah, a nice old supercharged Riley would be grand...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In news:d8prbt$cfb$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com, Neffalump blithered:

Does that make the installed tank safe?

Reply to
GbH

Naw, not keen on those, seen them before. Rather than one of those I'd get a Stalwart with a swim kit.

Here's that amhibious vehicle website BTW, it's not pretty but it's pretty comprehensive! Not much detail on each one but it has pictures and names so you can then search for more detail.

Ian Rawlings

My mistake, the wheels were 10 feet tall.

The BARC... What a beast! Independently steerable wheels must make it easier to park, although being 20 feet high, 80 feet long and as wide as the M3 must make it a little harder.

Take that on the school run then!!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:20:05 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

nope. the recall is due to chemical changes in the tank plastic caused by petrol over an extended period, or so I understood it.

Neffalump:

I'd've thought the exhaust would split? What bumper have you got on it that precludes access to the tank?

OK, tank guard I understand. However, any disco with a factory tow bar will have to have the bracing removed, which is next-to-impossible IME once it's been there 10 years, are they gonna whinge about that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hello, Austin

The Scorpion bumper needs to come off, because the rear plate for the tank guard is under the centre mounts for the bumper :(

Reply to
Neffalump

On or around Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:36:43 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

this one is amazing:

Austin Shackles

Crazy people.. I have to say though I'd like to see one of the screw-mounted vehicles in action, no wheels or tracks, just two great big spinning air tanks with screw threads wrapped around!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:50:06 +0000 (UTC), "Neffalump" enlightened us thusly:

I spose you could offer to meet them half-way, and remove the bumper for them before taking it in. Still reckon they ought to do the whole job, and that you could raise a stink about it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles