gearbox swap?

How easy is it to convert a range rover classic from auto to manual?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Extremely easy as long as you get the proper bellhousing, pedals assembly and gearbox with crossmember.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Easy. Telephone. Ashcroft transmissions did the reverse (manual to auto, that is) on my Defender a few months ago. No problems. I never even got my dainty little hands dirty.

Reply to
jermec

I've sometime thought about doing that with my Defender. Was it expensive ? Was it worth it ? What does it do to the fuel economy ? Do you use it for towing ? Loads more questions ????????? Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

I got it done because a knackered left elbow made gear changes very painful. Pain-free now :o) A little over £4k. Definitely worth it (see "pain" above) Fuel economy is meant to improve. I've not seen much evidence of that, but I do still try to drive it like my (long gone and sorely missed) 205 GTi. That doesn't help. I don't do towing. It makes people laugh.

Anything else? Ask away.

Reply to
jermec

Many thanks for the info. I've come to love autos (and I also think that autos make a better job of gear changing than I do). My Defender is a 2002 TD5 pickup, what's yours? (basically, does it have an ECU? did it need rechipping?) Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

Thanks thats very usefull

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

My pride and joy is one year old in a couple of weeks, so I strongly suspect the presence of an ECU. If anything technical was required it has sailed right over my head. I can check the oil and basic stuff like that, but other stuff? That's what mechanics are for. It's a 90 Hard Top with rear windows, or if you prefer, a Station Wagon without rear seats. A mis-build, I was led to believe. Didn't care. It was exactly what we (I) wanted. (*He* still wants a Lotus Elise. I'd like one too, but getting in and out is going to be fun.)

Reply to
jermec