Got the CB but where best to fit it?

Thanks for everyones feed back on the CB's

I got a maycom for £35 with box and instructions, just cant wait to fit it now! Any suggestions? Its going in a 94 300tdi disco ES Have thought about putting it up on the ceiling in front of the sunroof or hide it in the cubby box (Lose useful space). Any ideas

Cheers Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

In the drivers footwell, just next to left leg, mounted on transmission tunnel?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On 18/11/2003 09:03 Jinx wrote

What type of CB is it? What dimensions. An Electrophone TX3400 (sold in Australia) has a remote head, which fits nicely in front of the high/low range lever, and the body of the tranceiver under the seat.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

Ah. . . now funny you should mention that. I'm just about to buy that exact model and thought the same as you. Only thing is, you can't see the display unless you bend down & squint. Under the rubber mat, adjacent to the hi-lo lever is a hole and I thought about attaching an angle bracket to that hole, coming up at the edge of the rubber mat and angled again - bit like a ] bracket. Then I was going to mount the remote head using the centre hole on the supplied CB bracket so the unit can swivel for use by driver & pasenger. Either that or find some kind of flexible pole such as that used on some desk lamps so I can push the thing out of the way when not in use. The body I was going to mount next to the steering column inside the drop down panel used to access the fuses. Of course I am always open to innovative suggestions. Course you could do away with the cup holder and utilise the mechanism for a CB. Steve W

Reply to
QuickDraw Steve

On 18/11/2003 10:45 QuickDraw Steve wrote

The remote head on mine is hooked on the the back of the plastic using two metal picture hooks. The tranceiver is mounted to a metal strip under the driver's seat using electrical ties. I have a remote speaker, but I haven't installed that yet. Such are the accoustics inside the car that I can hear the radio just fine without an extension speaker, although passengers sometimes have difficulty hearing it.

I think I'll fit the speaker this afternoon, and finally finish the job. :-)

Reply to
Graeme Willox

On or around Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:03:00 +0000 (UTC), "Jinx" enlightened us thusly:

Inside the vehicle would be favourite :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I mounted mine on the back of the cubby box. You can't see the display, but generally you don't need to once you've set it on the right channel at the start of your day.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

On my 200 it fitted very nicely in the aperture in front of the passenger's knees. Can't remember what you have here on a 300?

How about the taxi driver style of sticking it to the carpet to the left of the driver's legs (RHD). You'd need to remove it though when you weren't using it in case somebody nicked it.

David.

Reply to
David French

Do not know if you can get remote head CB's but we have our2m/70cm/29MHz radio bolted on the central vertical panel between the two front seats. The head unit sits nicely on the dash without drilling any holes on the panel that holds the cigar lighter.

Hope this helps.

Z D90 TDI 200

Reply to
Zen

Tim Hobbs tried to scribble ...

That's where mine is .. single screw fix, so can be taken out easily, and with a short run to the cig lighter socket .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

May be worth checking inside the radio for a Varta rechargable battery on the PCB that keeps the memory alive, over time they leak and knacker up the main board. I have a dead one here as proof, later ones had no battery in.

I mounted mine on the NS of the transmission tunnel, with the speaker (bottom) facing into the footwell. this makes it easy for the navigator to fiddle with on the move, the drivers side of the transmission tunnel works just as well, but I have the hand free car phone there.

where to put the antenna is the really big question?

hope this helps

John Knights

Reply to
docmartin